Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
#448512 03/20/08 07:42 AM
OP Offline
Hiya folks,

I noticed in a different thread that Hal stated that patch panels should never be used for voice. I found this really interesting and was wondering why? I was also hoping someone could post a picture of what a text book good install would look like. All the sites I work at our such a mess I realized I have nothing good to compare it to.

thanks,
Vicky

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

#448513 03/20/08 08:04 AM
I'll add to that and say CAT 5 or 6 should never be used for voice nor should 8 position jacks (commonly referred to as RJ-45).

This is really a debate between the geeks and the phone guys. Geeks only know patch panels, CAT5 and 8 position jacks, phone guys know better.

This thread should give you a good idea of why I take this position.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
#448514 03/20/08 08:08 AM
Moderator-Nortel, Computers, General
Moderator-Nortel, Computers, General
Hal sums it up pretty well. Patch cords always end up becoming real messy, usually because someone's in a hurry or they're too lazy or incompetent to go get the proper length patch cord for the job. This applies to both telephone & data panels.

In reality it's more a question of "lack of professionalism" on the installer's part.

Scientists say that the universe is made up of Protons, Neutron & Electrons. They forgot "Morons".
Dave. (CTUB) Canadian Techs Use Bix!
#448515 03/20/08 08:23 AM
I agree that patch panel should not be used for voice but we have done it on occasion when our hands are tied.
Below are some pic's of one that come's to mind. This particular location has about 1200 wires, 600 of which we installed after our customer moved to the building. The existing was all wired with at least 2 cat-6 to each location. The customer want to continue the trend to all the new cubes that they installed.

This is the racks with all patch cords installed.
[Linked Image from i179.photobucket.com]
This is the back of the center rack. It has a 600 pair cable terminated with one pair per port patch panel port.
This is what you end up with if you need to add a modem line to where there is an existing digital line.

It seems that every time I stop by this site I fix a few patch cords that are not in the wire management that was installed "temporary".

WWW.EmeryCommunications.com
Authorized SMB Avaya Business Partner
#448516 03/20/08 09:01 AM
Contrast having to have the proper length patch cord to a spool of cross connect wire and you can see why patch cords are not a good idea just from a practical standpoint.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
#448517 03/20/08 12:41 PM
Originally posted by hbiss:
Contrast having to have the proper length patch cord to a spool of cross connect wire and you can see why patch cords are not a good idea just from a practical standpoint.

-Hal
Indeed! Notice how the patch cords were "ty-wrapped"? I hate when I go into a site & the x-connects are ty-wrapped!

www.phonelinetech.com

"Can I Still Call Out?"
#448518 03/20/08 01:17 PM
Velcro ties are okay, but they usually end up on the floor...

Jeff Moss

Moss Communications
Computer Repair-Networking-Cabling
MBSWWYPBX, JGAE
#448519 03/20/08 01:50 PM
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Here's my $249.99 on the subject of patch panels and it has absolutely nothing to do with the level of professionalism.

It is the fact that most customers who insist upon having patch panels for voice and data do so with the silly thought that they will be able to place their own connections.

We all know that the least technical person in the company ends up being responsible for the phone and data systems. The very person who answers her phone calls with "this is her" and can't even record a voice mail greeting without technical support.

Imagine this same person moving patch cords? The boss never wants to have any involvement in that stuff, the high school receptionist has no clue, so what happens? They pay for a technician to come out and move a patch cord.

I've never, I mean NEVER installed a system with patch panels for voice that didn't end up this way. With that being said, what exactly is the point except to buy what is yet again a CG buzz word?

I should just stop here, but I am sure that you get my point.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
#448520 03/20/08 02:02 PM
I like to give a little more detail of the job I posted the pictures of above. All the data cables stay within the same rack(for the most part). All the voice patch cords were custom made by us for length. I must admit that is was my idea originally but I don't know that I would do it again as it was very time consuming.

Just to clarify, I would not recommend patch panels for voice. For instance at this location the other end of the 600 pair feed is terminated on 110, the time it takes to make one patch cable at the rack, I could have ran 10 x-cuts on 110.

As for the tyraps comment above, if it was referring to cable ties, the only cable ties are on the back of the patch panels that have the feed cable installed. Those pairs are to never be moved.

WWW.EmeryCommunications.com
Authorized SMB Avaya Business Partner
#448521 03/20/08 03:39 PM
All the voice patch cords were custom made by us for length.

Doesn't that kind of defeat the whole patch panel/patch cord reasoning? I mean, the purpose is to make connections easily reconfigurable. Something like that might as well be hard wired because as soon as you move a patch cord it most likely either won't reach or will be too long.

-Hal

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10

Moderated by  Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,305
Posts638,892
Members49,770
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,840 Shoretel
189,962 CTX100 install
188,062 1a2 system
Newest Members
Dave Simmons, Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks, James D.
49,769 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 24
teleco 9
dexman 6
dans 5
jsaad 5
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 121 guests, and 34 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024