web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
I started on Nortel Meridians back 10 years ago and was taught by a 25 year bellsouth vet the ropes. I'm young but I grew up around old school technologies that gave me the foundation for what I know today. Me I idolize old Bell Guys. Those were my heros..Call me a geek but they were.

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

KLD Offline OP
OP Offline
The story on JKT (or so the story goes) meant "jacketed" vs. the cloth covered three lead "house" wire that had "thumb tacks" nailed through it to hold it to the base board. It was a three lead 19 ga. covered (jacketed) IW (inside wiring) that was stapled. The JKT is what I started with back in the day with Bell.

The different ga. bridle wire had two types. The larger had a ridge (ring) on one conductor and the smaller had a color (red) annealed under the rubber coating. The larger was used on open wire, the smaller on "drops" out of terminals.

Anyway, that was the local usage and material 40-some odd years ago at SWBT.

Ken
---------
Originally posted by KLD:
The story on JKT (or so the story goes) meant "jacketed"
Interesting. So I wonder whether JK was just a shortening of JKT?

Originally posted by ev607797:
H station wire was 3 pair, but it used white/blue, white/orange and white/green pairs instead of tradional "quad" wire colors.
We've had quite a variety of color coding used here over the years. We never used the American red/green/black/yellow standard, but back in the GPO days the standard "quad" wire used for internal wiring was blue/orange/green/brown (blue & orange for tip & ring).

Flexible cords on the phones, however, were white/red/green/blue (white & red as tip & ring respectively, and generally bell return on the green which would be strapped to white on single-party line or to local ground for party-line service).

Internal cabling changed over to the standard white/blue, white/orange, white/green etc. pairs in the early 1980s.

Just to add to the confusion, drop wires installed for new services now use a completely different scheme again -- orange/white/green/black.

HJB Offline
Both will support voice just fine. An argument could be made that C5e would be more immune to possible external interference (running too close to power, fluorescent lighting, etc), but generally both will suffice.

With C5e not costing much more than C3 for non-plenum applications I think a good business sense can be made for using C5e. In plenum applications there will be a bigger savings with using C3.

Of course, C5e does give you the added flexibility of using it for >10Mb for data transmission.

I, personally, would spec C5e. The cost difference is minimal and it is a more flexible install. But, that's just me.

Hans Broesicke, RCDD
Originally posted by Paul Coxwell:

Just to add to the confusion, drop wires installed for new services now use a completely different scheme again -- orange/white/green/black.
I have never seen this. I just picked up two 400ft boxes of Aerial 6pr (Superior Essex) and they contain the standard color coding.

I know AT&T (in the midwest) uses the same aerial service wire I just purchased.

Who is using this new color code and do you know why?

A CST's favorite numbers:0962/600
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Chad:

Paul is in the UK (as in England). That's why it's so different. It's being used by BT (British Telecom), the UK equivalent of Bell here in the US.

I do share in your question though. It seems that most of the world has accepted the standard US color code for network wiring being white/blue through white/brown. In the US, telephone has followed suit, even though telephone came first and actually invented this color code! It doesn't make sense that separate color codes are used for different cable types "across the pond".

I am sure that Paul will shed some light on this topic.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
Moderator-Avaya-Lucent, Antique Tele
Moderator-Avaya-Lucent, Antique Tele
Take a look at where Paul is from - Norfolk, England. That would account for the different color coding.

Sorry for any confusion!

As to why BT adopted this new scheme with orange/white for the first/main pair on just the drops, I have no idea. It does seem odd, as it's a fairly new standard and W/B, W/O, W/G etc. were already firmly established.

The white/red for tip/ring on internal flexible cords here goes back many, many years. If I recall correctly, these were also the colors used on switchboard cords, with the addition of blue for sleeve.

There might be something about the origins of our old color coding schemes in Atkinson's "Telephony," a large two-volume set which was the "bible" of telephone systems 50 years ago. I'll see if I can find anything.

Maybe the Brits will do ANYTHING to avoid the appearance of being American. smile You all know how backwards we are.

Candor - Intelligence - Good Will
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,305
Posts638,892
Members49,770
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,836 Shoretel
189,960 CTX100 install
188,059 1a2 system
Newest Members
Dave Simmons, Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks, James D.
49,769 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 24
teleco 9
dans 6
dexman 6
jsaad 5
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 97 guests, and 24 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024