Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
I learned from an old-timer that it's best to NOT label the cables and to tone out them as part of the testing. His rationale was so that the cable bundles at the MDF could be super-neatly laced in and I agree on that part. You didn't have to worry about which cable went where, you just laced them in perfectly so the job looks sweet. He tested us by having us run one cable of a different color and place it in the bundle as a "racing stripe" to show how perfectly-aligned the cables in the bundle were.

True, this usually means that jack numbers end up scattered all over the place, but still, if everything is labeled and tested properly, it shouldn't be an issue.

I do mark both ends on tiny jobs with a sharpie just to save a step, but on large jobs, it seems as if the old-timer's way has been the best way to go for me.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

I have a problem with that theory of punch and tone.

Although it works from a neatness stand point it kills a numbering scheme at the far end.

But to each his own.

Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi
I have to agree, Wrichey. I like the ordered approach as well.

Administrator
Administrator
I cant stand to find a 66 block marked cab3 then cab12 then cab4 ect. I also stroke out when room 1 has cable 1 and room 2 to cable 9. I have a car dealer that was cabled with the punch and tone method dual cat5e V3/D92 next cube V41/D6.
Capitol has the right idea and looks like several others do the same so do I. As far as lacing in I go back to the days of wax string, now tiewraps and velcro,I will put my work up against any, but none of it matters when the next guy comes in to run a cable its never laced in anyways.

I have a captive client -- I am the guy who will be out to find and fix in ten years. I like to have the cable numbers in order both in the terminal room and on the floor.

Telecommunications Installation and Repair: April 1, 1966 -- November 30, 2011
Steve:

I think that my description wasn't clear. We still labeled the blocks in proper numeric order. I would also gag at random numbering on blocks. We weren't allowed to have a single cable cross over another in bundles as large as 6". If we did, the boss cut all of the lacing and made us start over.

I agree with everyone about the station end numbering being a crap shoot, but we just had such a high level of expectation for neatness by the old boss that it was the only way it was done. Bear in mind, these were giant jobs, easily 300-400 cables per closet and many closets per floor.

I still think that a properly-labeled final installation is what it's all about. As long as the customer's IT person (key word) can see the numbers at both ends, I seriously doubt that they will even notice that cubicle A's data cable is a hundred off from cubicle B's.

You aren't kidding about the guy who comes in afterward lacing the additional cable into the bundle.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
KLD Offline
It is cheaper to land the wiring at the block, number the block sequentially, and who cares that Rm 1 is Jk 1? Have done it that way, and guess what? Yep, the next outlet ruined the whole thing by not being RM 100 and JK 100! And it took a lot longer.

Now, if you need it that way --- buy speed pull cable so you can drop it all at one time.

Yes, I try to match the PP and 66 Block numbers in one outlet, but only when there are very few --- again it is a time issue.

Just my way.

KLD wink

Ken
---------
Although it works from a neatness stand point it kills a numbering scheme at the far end.

You don't understand. You install the jacks first and as you do you number them according to the drawings,the plan or your numbering scheme. They are always numbered in order. THEN you tone each and punch the other end down in that order on the blocks or the patch panel.

Don't know how I can make it any clearer... tagging or toning, the results are the same.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
SST Offline
I used to tag as I pulled the cable in. Now, I find it easier and faster to terminate everything, tone, test and label. I find it easier to lay the cable out at the MDF and let the cable bundle determine where the cable lies. This way you don't have to weave the cable to get it lay straight. And since I'm going to test the cable any way; the testing gets done when toning the cable. Who cares if the cable numbers don't run in clockwise order around the building the phone extensions will. Your label scheme will tell you what closet and panel the cable runs to.

Moderator-Avaya-Lucent, Antique Tele
Moderator-Avaya-Lucent, Antique Tele
I can't see paying someone to stand around with a toner waiting for me to find the cable, lace it down to the patch panel or block, and then terminate it before they can move on to the next jack. Pay him to run around terminating the jacks while I terminate the backboard. Then have him tone, I'll locate it in the sequentially numbered blocks or PP ports, tell which one it is so he can label the jack, and we'll test it while the label is printing.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,306
Posts638,894
Members49,771
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,905 Shoretel
190,007 CTX100 install
188,225 1a2 system
Newest Members
Mansour, Dave Simmons, Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks
49,770 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 17
teleco 6
dexman 6
jsaad 5
dans 5
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 62 guests, and 36 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024