Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Moderator-Comdial, ESI, Voicemail, Cisco
OP Offline
I am reprogramming from scratch (trying to eliminate some bugs) a DX80 A40 system. When it was originally installed, it was at A33. At that time, the extension numbers had been modified outside of the range of normal extensions (100s, 200s, and 300s). A33 and previous DOS versions let you change the numbering fairly easily.

Now on A40, "flexible" numbering is only flexible within the range of preset extensions (101-164). You can add other digits to the Leading Digits fields, but it doesn't appear that you can change numbers outside of the original range.

I didn't setup this particular site, and never was keen on the idea of changing the numbers. We've now been out to this site repeatedly for various problems. I am wondering if anyone else has toyed with changing the numbers on DX80, and if you've noticed problems.

My next problem, if I am forced to go back to original numbering, is to convince the customer of it.

I guess I'm just looking for feedback on this issue, and whether anyone else has had any dealing with it.

Thanks!

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Have you executed the salesman who told them "sure, we can do that".

I have never tried to mess with the numbering plan for that reason. Nothing good can come from it. Once in a while to solve a problem I'll change physical/logical port to number but I don't even like to do that.

I have shop systems here that I can try anything you want on if you want me to try something, but I have no experiences with it. Sorry. I have had pretty good luck with the 33 SW, you could roll them back and re load it.
Mark

OP Offline
Customer agreed to change back to standard numbering. I'm moving cross-connects so I won't even be doing any logical/physical changes. Thanks for the offer, though, Mark.

I still want to know if you properly punished the sales person.

It was the sales people that caused me to go out on my own 20 years ago. Not that I regret it, I sure don't. But I still get the hair up on the back of my neck (only place I still have hair above the shoulders) when I hear these kind of stories.

Oh yeah, we can do that! Our techs can do anything you want, sign right here.

Mark

OP Offline
In this case I think it was actually the tech who told them it could be done. It wasn't me, and I wan't there at the config meeting, so I don't know who the culprit is. Oh well. I actually learned lots of little do's and don'ts today during this lengthy exercise.

Damn, I was hoping to stick another pin in my sales person doll.

You really can't go by the manual or the sales broshures, you must really try it out at the shop first. I would site the 7240 AA module as one example.

Mark

[QUOTE]Originally posted by 5years&counting:
[QB] I am reprogramming from scratch (trying to eliminate some bugs) a DX80 A40 system. When it was originally installed, it was at A33. At that time, the extension numbers had been modified outside of the range of normal extensions (100s, 200s, and 300s). A33 and previous DOS versions let you change the numbering fairly easily.

Now on A40, "flexible" numbering is only flexible within the range of preset extensions (101-164). You can add other digits to the Leading Digits fields, but it doesn't appear that you can change numbers outside of the original range.

I don't know where you were looking or if you have a bad A40 PCDBA, but all revisions you can change using a flexible numbering plan. I first encountered this with a F24 install where the customer just had to remain with stations 201 to 216 in keeping with the Toshiba system being replaced. I just went into A40 PCDBA and manipulated the numbering plan the same as in all DOS versions. True, it is not as flexible as the big switches, but still changeable.

OP Offline
Hey PD, I'm really curious now. Where exactly in A40 were you able to change the numbering. I'm wondering, not because I want to go through this nightmare again, but because I looked for a while today and never found it. All I found was where you could add different and additional digits for leading digits in the numbering plan, and the swap dir. (extensions) among the already existing extensions. I know that A33 and prior, being that it was a different interface, had a field where you could actually type in a different extension. The A40, from what I found, only gives you a drop-down of existing available extensions. What am I missing here?

Check your PM's

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,293
Posts638,827
Members49,768
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,559 Shoretel
189,433 CTX100 install
187,598 1a2 system
Newest Members
Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww
49,767 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 28
teleco 8
dexman 6
jsaad 5
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 110 guests, and 234 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024