web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
I would Like to see some electricians come work with me on some old 1A2 systems. Yes they are still out there working. Better yet I would invite them and teach about diode matrix riging. Anyone remember the old A to K and K to A set conversion? Maybe we can start by learning how to replace a bad lamp fuses. Jee, Why are all the lights start flashing when I CPC two or more WE 2564 sets together? An electricians license wont't help you with this stuff. Hey, has anyone ever got to work on a old 701. Got a service call a few years ago and one of the ring generators failed. I think they called an electrician but he couldn't fix it.

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

I see this is your first post. Be aware that there are many guys here who still know and do 1A2. I cut my teeth on it but now haven't seen any in the metro area for several years.
You know your old when you think 1A2 is easy compared to the software reliant products of Y2K. This thread will probably burn up now, once you mention 1A2, all us old timers can't resist joining in.
mark

dtu Offline
Lets take it the other way, would it only be a limited connect disconnect Electrical licence or are you supposed to be a fully licenced electrician. I had to do a four year apprenticeship to get my elcetrician's licence. And Yes I have my Comms and Data licence and am certified on three different systems (I know it's not many, there are most likely others who have alot more certifications than me).

[This message has been edited by dtu (edited October 13, 2004).]

I am a memeber of IBEW 103 . They contacted me to join only because they needed old timers to work on this stuff. I was not old at the time but learned from old timers. It's probably the only way you could learn this old stuff at the time. As far a the license goes for low voltage, they promised Teldata memebers that alarms would be included in the Low voltage license. This never happend and most likely never will.

Station Specialties, I like your screen name. I still have my old Bell System Station Specialties manual, great for 685 subsets, 4A Speaker Phones and lots of other neat stuff. I still have all my Bell System key service manuals, data services manuals and lots of Horizon and Dimension manuals. I have worked a lot of 1A2 and a couple of 1A1 systems with the hardwired relays and the screw connections on the back of the KTU's. After 34 years in the business I have seen a lot of changes and most not for the better. I agree totally about being licensed as an electrician to do telephone work, its like talking apples and oranges. Most electicians have no concept of telephone wiring or telephone systems. The reason a lot of them daisy chain is to make more money quickly. Instead of making home runs they wire to the nearest jack because many of them charge by the jack.

Electricians.......

2 wire hook up,

3 wire mess up!!!

NECTEC, Yes, I have all of the old bell system manuals. One of them is called station specialties. I was lucky to have my father who worked for New England telephone then he Went to ATT at the Split. His dad Also worked for the Phone Company and was a Central office engineer. I have lots of old manuals. One of them is Called Apparatus Common to Manual and Dial Central Offices from The Western Electric Installation Department. I was fortunate enough to get into this business with a bunch of patiant Old timers who worked on Just about everything. Before My Dad retired Hes was teaching guys Ckt. Diagrams on the New # 5 ESS. My granfather Used to tell my dadh it's all about understanding traffic. Even after my Granfather retired the phone company used to call him up to still fix the Giant phone systems of the past that took up multiple floors in large buildings. (701)

With the advent of Power over Ethernet (esp in switches / wireless routers / VoIP equipment) I can begin to understand requiring folks to be certified as electricians...

Again everything is converging into the telecom domain ...

------------------
NEC Unified Solutions / Voice Mail and Unified Messaging | Active Voice, LLC

[Linked Image from necunified.com] [Linked Image from activevoice.com]

If and when Low voltage ever requires a License it may be a good thing. When that happens will you need a permit to install a electric train set for your kid? Will you then have to get it inspected? Will your homeowners insurance cover you when your house burns down over a train set? Will radio Shack only sell paging amps to you if you have a low voltage license? I will never forget what my dad showed me about the dangers of 1a2 key equipement. He showed how they can start a fire if your 18 to 24 volt lamp power suppy wasn't properly fused and the system was not properly grounded. On the other hand, on three different instances I have found the suspended ceiling grid alive with power enough to knock you right off your ladder. My point is electricity must be respected! Even working on low voltage. How many of us have seen foreign voltages other than dial tone at the Demark?

Here in good ol North Carolina you are suppose to have a sp-lv electrical license to do any communications work also the Alarm Board requires it as well. We had a class at the electrical board for our ceu's amd the instructor told us it was a bunch of crap. He took a 50volt transformer and shorted it out and said if it catches fire ill kiss all of your asses.

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  MooreTel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,293
Posts638,827
Members49,768
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,555 Shoretel
189,429 CTX100 install
187,596 1a2 system
Newest Members
Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww
49,767 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 28
teleco 8
dexman 6
jsaad 5
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 107 guests, and 237 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024