web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Usually it is with the Bureau of Labor and Industry.

[Linked Image from i26.servimg.com]
TouchPoint Networks.

Serving the Northwest Since 1991
NEC Shoretel Zultys T3 Tadiran
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

BOLI and most all State Agencies are already Union, of course if they're "real brothers" they would get the IBEW in the Money Loop.

The IBEW planned this so they wouldn't take any union heat but still get their cut of the money from dues. All this program would have to do is put IBEW on their letterhead and everything else is all ready in place.

We have to target out of state employees who can verify related industry hours and pass the test instead of playing the State of Oregon's Limited/Restricted Energy Apprenticeship BS game instead of being forced to hire someone who signed up at some night school bulliten board ad 4 years ago with no experience.

I was a tech for 7 years, then got into the sales engineering & design side of the industry for the last 13 years before this BS was in place and the State says I'm not qualified to pull in data or fiber. Even if it was for my mom. They don't have any pathways for "homeboys" who have been in the industry forever but, might need to help pull in a drop now and then. I can see why, What if I didn't ground my Fiber Strands and got shocked while terminating it???

Moderator-Avaya, Nortel
Moderator-Avaya, Nortel
Oh, I am sure that little strand of glass couldn't handle much voltage, so you would be okay. LOL

Z-man
Avaya SME Authorized Partner
www.omniofficetech.com
In suffolk county NY. as of 2 years ago you need to have a restricted electrician license to run low voltage cable... as someone else said...just another for the county to make money.

Walter

I have owned a cable install co.in N.Y. for 6 yrs. I have 7 employee's and none of us are licensed to pull cable.We have pulled cat 5, fiber,coax and many other low voltage cables through NYC schools ,hospitals and every other office out there.I am requiered to pay union wages but thats it.IBEW local 3 and 25 harass us all the time but as long as my payroll books are up to date they cant do a damn thing.They send in the goon squad once in a while but my guys are not easily intimidated.We have families and homes to support to.

If the electricians don't want us pulling cable, then maybe we should start requiring them to pull out and replace every cable that doesn't meet our specs, at no extra charge. Skinned cable? Wire nuts? Pinched or kinked? Make them do it over and over until they get it right. Maybe they'll get the idea when they don't get paid for all that extra work.

Joe
---
No trees were harmed as a result of this posting; however, many electrons were severely inconvenienced.
Corwyn Offline OP
OP Offline
What's involved in starting a new union?

Seriously though, what about us putting pressure on the telephone systems manufacturers to support us in grand fathering us in or something.

We spend $1000s paying them for certifications and buying NFS units to have the privilege/right to sell their product(s). What about getting them to step up to the plate to say that unless wiring is done and or certified by an authorized system dealer, they will not honor the warranty. (they already do this with non-authorized dealers) If the electricians want to pull the wire LET THEM! One of us will have to go in and
inspect the wiring before the system can be installed and guess what - inspection and certification costs $100 per run.

How much money do the MFGs spend in customer service calls that are related to things like poor sound quality because electricians connected wiring with a nut or even better electrical tape?
How many times have you heard a customer say something along the lines of “ I hate this phone system because the sound quality is terrible” to find out that it’s caused by poor wiring installation that has nothing to do with the system?

Corwyn

dtu Offline
No wonder you hate electricians.
Here in Australia we have two seperate licensing boards.
Telecomms & Power should always be kept seperate both in legislation and licensing.
Recently it became mandatory for Security Alarm installers to be licensed under the Communications Authority because their system could be connected to the PSTN.

system manufactures will not take such an action because it would cost them sales unless it was done by all at the same time. we just test the cables w/ penta or fluke, if they don't pass then we replace jacks, that fixes 90%, then new cable and charge for labor and parts. put in all work orders and contracts, existing cable must pass industry standards or
can't gaurantee performance of the phone attached. on any big job if cust balks just eat bad cables if needed to keep but out of fire.

I just don't see what the big deal is. We hire union and non-union all the time depending on the job then "we" inspect it to make sure it's to code and our standards. The only person thats hurt by Unions is that the customer has to pay more. Generally I haven't seen a big difference in the quality of work, but then again we are picky on who we have running cables for us and our customers.

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  MooreTel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,299
Posts638,872
Members49,770
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,725 Shoretel
189,768 CTX100 install
187,923 1a2 system
Newest Members
Dave Simmons, Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks, James D.
49,769 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 25
teleco 9
dans 6
dexman 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 63 guests, and 310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024