web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
OP Offline
I have some newbie questions, I hope you guys don't mind.

1. 64-bit network adapter cards vs 32-bit Network adapter cards.

- Do you need to have a 64-bit operating system or 64-bit CPU in order to use this card or does the 64-bit is entirely in the internal network card's hardware and does not matter what the computer is?

2. Do you need a Gigabit Router when you have a Gigabit switch?

- My internet connection is just regular cable internet 6 Mpbs so its not for my internet connection. I'm basically asking if the data packets need to all travel through the router when you are sending files across the network or if the data transfer is all handle by the switch(and not the router). This is assuming that all computers are connected to the Gigabit switch.

3 Has anyone tried Link aggregation, network card bonding, teaming, etc... When you take 2 or more network cards and use them to increase your speed?

I know that this feature is listed in the DELL switches however I'm wondering if you need any special network cards or software in order to do this? Can you buy 2 generic gigabit network cards and use the regular windows software to link them and have them act as 1 card?

Please let me know if anyone has any experience with this?

I guess the idea is that 2 networking cards with 2 CAT 5E/6 cables will double your speed to 2000 mbps.

Thanks.

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

1. 64 bit cards are made for motherboards with 64 bit slots, although some will work if put in a 32 bit slot.

2. Any router will work as long as the computers are connected to a gigabit switch that can auto-negotiate down to 10 or 100.

3. Regular network cards will work, but you'd need a driver or OS that supports aggregation. Not sure if Windows does or not.

Hope this helps.

Joe
---
No trees were harmed as a result of this posting; however, many electrons were severely inconvenienced.
1. NO; 64 bit vs. 32 bit is in reference to your PCI bus. Check your MOBO specs to see if it will support this. Processor has nothing to do with this.

2. NO. All packets from PC to PC are going through the switch.

3. Have not investigated this to give you an informed answer.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,294
Posts638,833
Members49,768
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,588 Shoretel
189,473 CTX100 install
187,623 1a2 system
Newest Members
Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww
49,767 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 26
teleco 9
dexman 6
dans 5
Who's Online Now
2 members (Toner, dans), 166 guests, and 344 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024