Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#262137 06/15/10 05:18 PM
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
OP Offline
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Had a service call to set up a construction office today. Two voice lines, a fax, and a "data" line, each with phone numbers assigned by Verizon.

Going off-hook on the "data" line (assuming DSL) circuit, all that I got was a "click/click" and then battery, indicative of a disconnected circuit in the 5ESS. When calling the number assigned to this circuit, I got what sounds like ring trip.

Since the customer didn't have their DSL modem on-site, all I could do is to verify that this click and battery was present at the jack.

Since I've never worked with the supposed "dry DSL" service that Verizon offers, should I be concerned about a callback? My guess is that they just use an un-programmed CO port to provide battery for the DSL transport to the premises. That seems like a pretty expensive means to do so.

Just askin...

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

#262138 06/16/10 12:37 AM
KLD Offline
Local at&t tech commented about a "dry DSL" the other day....and you have it all....

Ken
---------
#262139 06/16/10 01:28 AM
Also referred to as "naked DSL". If you hear anything you're lucky. I know some locations have started putting battery or dial tone with no LEN just so the phone company techs quit robbing the pairs because they think they are dead unused pairs. In this area you hear nothing, you either need a modem or DSL test set to see if there's anything on the pair. I'm guessing Ed that in your area this is their way of identifing it's a pair in use.

Retired phone dude
#262140 06/16/10 03:10 AM
I don't see them a lot anymore, but used to...they often had a tag that said TXNU.

Jeff Moss

Moss Communications
Computer Repair-Networking-Cabling
MBSWWYPBX, JGAE
#262141 06/16/10 06:09 AM
Really depends on how the network is set-up to deliver xDSL for a customer’s area on what else is hooked up on the pair with an “naked DSL service.” ... I’ve heard about every scenario you could imagine.

* LEN to DSLAM splitter just like a normal POTS + DSL service except the switch port is programmed for no inbound and outbound 911 only calls. (Just like if it had been disco-ed for no pay.)

* A combo card (LEN + DSLAM.) where the LEN can be programmed same as above.

* A combo card (LEN + DSLAM.) Where the LEN is set as a pseudo-LEN (a software marker of sorts) and the LEN is programmed to a null value, so as far as the actual switcher is concerned there’s no LEN there.

* I have never seen one used ‘round here, but I also understand there are DSLAMs (either modules of Next-Gen pair gain cards) that are set-up to supply battery too, so lines can be set up DSLAM to cable-pair specifically for naked DSL.

What you’re gonna get when connecting a tel-set or butt set to a dry DSL line and going off hook, is going to result in about anything you could image. :shrug:

Originally posted by jeffmoss26:
I don't see them a lot anymore, but used to...they often had a tag that said TXNU.
That’s an ckt id for a CLEC leased broadband capable loop... Possible that “naked” or “dry” xDSL is being delivered on it but a LEC provided xDSL loop will not have a circuit id.

-----------------------
Bryan
LEC Provisioning Engineer
Cars -n- Guitars Racin' (retired racer Oct.'07)
#262142 06/16/10 02:40 PM
Moderator-Avaya, Polycom
Moderator-Avaya, Polycom
Our Verizon DSL is a dry loop.
1 no dial tone, just clicks
2 less expensive
3 works fine.

Moderated by  Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,294
Posts638,834
Members49,769
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,622 Shoretel
189,511 CTX100 install
187,771 1a2 system
Newest Members
Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale
49,768 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 26
teleco 9
dexman 5
dans 5
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 198 guests, and 332 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024