Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#259934 06/22/06 12:57 PM
SWB Offline OP
OP Offline
This is for any OSP people out there. I recently built an Adtran HDSL4 span, and placed an ADC app case in the man-hole(standard procedure-our network has piles of them) and the doubler wouldnt even power up. With a test card in the app case slot, I had proper voltage to the doubler. Changed the doubler, still nothing. Ive never had a problem using Adtran products in ADC equipment before, so it spun me out. Finally I decided to try ADC, and with the office repeater switched, the Adtran doubler powered up. After changing everything to ADC, the ckt ran perfect. Ive built Adtran ckts with ADC app cases hundreds of times before without a problem. Anybody know what the deal is?

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

I’m having a bit of trouble determining which repeater (doubler) wasn’t powering-up for ya?

H4TU-C>>> ADC housing (repeater?) >>> H4TU-R
(What repeater was not working?)

-----------------------
Bryan
LEC Provisioning Engineer
Cars -n- Guitars Racin' (retired racer Oct.'07)
SWB Offline OP
OP Offline
It was the midspan doubler that wouldnt lite up. The slot in the repeater case had power, but no lites. I verified the doubler itself was not defective, as I used it in another ckt I built last friday. Go figure...

I’m thinkin’ this answer is real simple…

ADC does not make a HDSL repeater. eek I just took a look through their complete product catalog I recently picked up. The only repeaters (doublers) that I knew of and could find in the catalog were made were for conventional T1 format DS1 signal.

The HDSL family of products (HDSL 1st generation HDSL on 4-wire) HDSL2 (2nd generation on 2-wire) and HDSL4 (3rd generation on 4-wire, long reach and repeatable) has a proprietary format that is not compatible with conventional T1 format signal or units.

It sounds like to me that you had a HDSL type card in the C.O. and was trying to use an ADC conventional T1 repeater in it. That wouldn’t fly at all!

What you probably should have done is placed an Adtran H4RE p/n: 1223445l? (Assuming 239 mechanics housing) for an HDSL4 loop…. OR maybe if it happen to be a 1st genoration plain HDSL, placed an Adtran HRE p/n: 1246045L? (again assuming 239 mechanics housing) for a plain HDSL loop.

BTW... FYI to anyone on repeatered HDSL loops. Per Adtran HDSL2 (2-wire) loops should not be repeatered (unless you know ADSL will not ever be in the same cable count.)

-----------------------
Bryan
SWB Offline OP
OP Offline
Ok, my story is clear as mud. Sorry bout that. Let me try it this way. I built the ckt Adtran HDSL4. The midspan doubler wouldnt power. I changed the office repeater to ADC. The Adtran midspan doubler powered!!! Pretty red lights! I changed the midspan doubler to ADC also(yes, they do make an HDSL slimline 239 doubler. Product ID is SPX-HRPTSWD1) as well as the niu, and that is how the ckt is working now. ADC HDSL 4-wire with one midspan doubler. What I cant figure out is why the Adtran office rptr wouldnt power the midspan doubler (the slot had power- the office card was working) when the ADC office card that I swapped it with powered the Adtran doubler right up. Man, I just re-read this and its still hazy! Im not a good talker-person.

Well… I just learned me something right here on this post. wink I didn’t know ADC made a HDSL series of cards. The catalog I have may (without saying it) be just for product “approved for use” with my company…. That also means I do not have any practical experience with your exact situation, ‘cause I’ve never used ADC’s HDSL sctuff… BUT we do use Adtran’s repeaters in ADC application cases all day everyday; so I’m pretty sure that wasn’t the problem by itself.

I took a few minutes and went to www.ADC.com and did a search on both their HDSL/HDSL4 products and the part number (SPX-HRPTSWD1) you referenced. One thing I noticed by looking through their documentation is that you still may have had a technology mismatch. The part number you referenced is for HDSL, where as you said you were building a HDSL4 loop… HDSL and HDSL4 are two different formats all together, so if at the start of your process you didn’t have the repeater and C.O. card matched then that would ‘splain how power was there at the slot but no pretty lights.”

BTW I’ve never called the “red lights” pretty… They usually frighten me!!!
eek wink laugh

-----------------------
Bryan
SWB Offline OP
OP Offline
Yeah, the technologies are different (2B1Q/16TCPAM) but of course I would change all the equipment in the ckt to one or the other. As you say, the ADC app case is compatable with Adtran, so it really is a noodle scratcher. Maybe it was just some of that Telco "FM". I appreciate the feedback Bryan

Moderated by  Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,294
Posts638,834
Members49,769
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,624 Shoretel
189,515 CTX100 install
187,772 1a2 system
Newest Members
Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale
49,768 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 25
teleco 9
dans 5
dexman 4
Who's Online Now
2 members (justbill, nortelvoip), 123 guests, and 331 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024