Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Kind of what I thought......

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Not completely down on IP But:

Some unscrupulous dealers rip off customers with BS like $10K Paging Servers! (At a school bus barn,)
Obviously Paging is much better with a SERVER.

IMHO That is not a good argument for or against IP systems brokeda.
There are unscrupulous dealers everywhere selling every product, service and system you could imagine.
TekMason

TekMason
IP therefore I am
Actually, having to add a server to actually page IS..when that is an accepted feature of a modern phone system.

The problem with IP isn't IP. It's logic. Anyone that has taken even a rudementary class in logic 101 can look at a schematic and see what extra steps are needed to get VOIP or actually, the more PROPER term should be TOIP, to work properly and perform at a level that is acceptable for internal dial tone. Understand I come from the computer side of the house (computer science) so I can see some of the advantages of TOIP..but the extra work to make it happen makes almost little of no sense for internal dial tone.

It reminds me of the story of the millions of dollars and engineering NASA spent on making a pen that could would work in near zero g. The Russian response....use a pencil.

It reminds me of the story of the millions of dollars and engineering NASA spent on making a pen that could would work in near zero g. The Russian response....use a pencil.
That's a good one.

Bob

With all the variables involved, I am amazed when any voice and data technology works like it is supposed to.
The Russians just used a pencil instead of a zero-gravity pen maybe, but they didn't make it to the moon, did they? And without the space pen, where would Seinfeld be?

Vaya con Dios amigos!
Butch
Interesting that you bring up the Russion pencil and American pen in space story. It is a myth. The Fisher Pen Company developed the Space Pen in the mid-1960s. They did this on their own, without prompting by NASA and without and government money. In addition, he Russians abandoned special pencils and switched over to pressurized space pens in 1969.

There were very good reasons to use the more expensive space pens (~$4) on space missions. Because of the danger that a broken-off pencil tip poses in zero gravity and the flammable nature of the wood present in pencils a better solution was needed.

There are some good reasons that make a solid business cases to use IP system.
I don't think using a $10k server to add paging is one of those though.

TekMason

TekMason
IP therefore I am
Originally posted by TekMason:
Interesting that you bring up the Russion pencil and American pen in space story. It is a myth. The Fisher Pen Company developed the Space Pen in the mid-1960s. They did this on their own, without prompting by NASA and without and government money. In addition, he Russians abandoned special pencils and switched over to pressurized space pens in 1969.

There were very good reasons to use the more expensive space pens (~$4) on space missions. Because of the danger that a broken-off pencil tip poses in zero gravity and the flammable nature of the wood present in pencils a better solution was needed.

There are some good reasons that make a solid business cases to use IP system.
I don't think using a $10k server to add paging is one of those though.

TekMason
LOL, hook line and sinker. I quoted that myth knowing that someone would try and dismiss what it was saying by using Wiki or other site. I also looked in up and I assume you used cut and paste because it looks verbatim. As a side note you should always link source sites when and IF you do that as a courtesy. BTW it did still cost 2 million..for a pen..and that was in dollars in THAT day and age.

I agree 10k for a paging server seems quite a lot and you will run into people overcharging..but it happens and customers should price check. I find that Nationals do this as a matter of business because they have them.

I wonder what would happen if that pen broke and ink started going everywhere?

Hey, you didn't cite the source of the myth that you quoted Coral. LOL

I hazard to guess that a broken space pen would be...hazardous to the mission. You can quote me on that wink

BTW Do you still use vinyl records and VCR tapes as opposed to IPods, MP3s, CDs and DVDs?

TekMason

TekMason
IP therefore I am
The Russians just used a pencil instead of a zero-gravity pen maybe, but they didn't make it to the moon, did they? And without the space pen, where would Seinfeld be?
Interesting timing: Space Pen episode on TBS Seinfeld tonight.

Bob

With all the variables involved, I am amazed when any voice and data technology works like it is supposed to.
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  MooreTel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,299
Posts638,872
Members49,770
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,730 Shoretel
189,778 CTX100 install
187,934 1a2 system
Newest Members
Dave Simmons, Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks, James D.
49,769 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 25
teleco 9
dans 6
dexman 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 137 guests, and 301 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024