web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Keyset6 Offline OP
OP Offline
We have had many 3 1/2 diskette drive failures lately. Siemens Resale has replacement disk drives - for $995. I wonder if anyone has used an alternative such as this for I think $400 + the USB drive cost -

https://www.plrelectronics.com/floppy_to_usb.php

If not I wonder if there is any other replacement media for the diskette drive? We've got the older (blue eject button) and newer diskette drives.

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Keyset6, You have a PM

Tele-Net Technologies
Certified Panasonic dealer
There are other places to look for replacement parts for this CBX.

There are also other places to go to ask these questions that are more oriented to the old ROLM legacy CBX.

One thing that has worked for me over the years is a "cleaner disk" if you can find one. If the drive will not read/write disks you have nothing to lose except the cost of the disk. Canned air can work wonders.

Doing backups regularly exercises these drives and seems to keep them working. A couple of other thng that has worked is downing/upping the PDC and/or FD. Downing them and pulling them out and reseating them then upping them sometimes works. Running DIAG on them sometimes revives them.

If you do try the reseating thing, be very careful. These old things are getting pretty fragile.

If you do find an alternative drive that works, please post it.

What format does Rolm use?

Keyset6 Offline OP
OP Offline
Not sure what format Rolm uses. There is a company that is attempting to make their USB drive compatible with the Rolm system. We have sent them a diskette drive and diskettes from a 9751 to work with. I've done the usual with canned air, and do have the cleaning diskette Radio Shack used to sell, without the cleaning solution. Don't know if alchohol is a good substitute for the original liquid. As suggested, I have had some luck with the canned air and/or cleaning diskette to clean the drive where backups can be done.

Originally posted by Keyset6:
Not sure what format Rolm uses. There is a company that is attempting to make their USB drive compatible with the Rolm system. We have sent them a diskette drive and diskettes from a 9751 to work with. I've done the usual with canned air, and do have the cleaning diskette Radio Shack used to sell, without the cleaning solution. Don't know if alchohol is a good substitute for the original liquid. As suggested, I have had some luck with the canned air and/or cleaning diskette to clean the drive where backups can be done.
Alcohol is a great liquid to work with the cleaner disk, using one without a liquid can actually cause excessive wear on the head and cause further damage.

I'm a black & white type of guy.....the only grey in my life is the hair on my head!
RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
PM Sent

When I was young, I was Liberal. As I aged and wised up, I became Conservative. Now that I'm old, I have settled on Curmudgeon.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,291
Posts638,815
Members49,767
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,433 Shoretel
189,204 CTX100 install
187,445 1a2 system
Newest Members
Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww
49,767 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 26
teleco 6
dexman 5
jsaad 4
Who's Online Now
1 members (newtecky), 138 guests, and 419 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024