Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#201660 07/14/10 04:19 AM
Korak Offline OP
OP Offline
Our board in our main system went out. The SIM card also bit the dust. I don't know a lot about the system, and had no idea it even had a SIM card. I found out how to back it up, so I will be doing that once it gets back going.

We are pinched for money at the school, so I am trying to do some of this myself without having our phone company do it all. I have a few questions if anyone would care to help me.

We have an old DOS box that runs perfect voice for VM and such. I am assuming the main system is a Strata CIX since that is what my manual that I have is for. I am using eManager 5.2 to work on the system.

We have a new card and the system is up, though everything is lost, except for the information on the DOS box that contains the mailboxes and such. I located all my trunks by dialing #700? and then 9591122 and have them labeled. I set up a few groups so that the trunks will ring to the correct groups. I have set the office keys up to ring to certain extensions as they should or to Intercomm, grab an outside line to call, etc.

Here are my questions.
1. For the remaining phones which are all DTK 10 button phones, can I set the keys up on one and then copy it to a bunch of others? I selected copy and then it let me type in an extension to copy it to, but that was only for one phone. I will do that for every phone if I need to, but would like to copy it to multiple extensions at one time if possible.

2. How do I get my phone to retrieve voice mails now? I had a message from before this went down and when I hit the MSG button on the phone, it took me to the main attendant. From there I hit *999, extension, and my password and it checked it. Now that there are no messages though, when I hit MSG, it does nothing. I cannot get back to the main attendant. I thought I could just hit *999, but that must not be it. So from here I guess I have two questions:
a. How do I get to the main attendant?
b. How do I tell my phone to check messages? (I assume I have to put a number in on the VM section of my extension, but I am not sure what to put, or where to find what to put)

3. When I use to dial an extension, it would keep ringing unless someone answered or the number 2 was hit, which caused it to pick up on the other end so that you could talk and anyone there would here you talking on speaker. Now when I dial an extension, it does not keep ringing. I automatically picks up on the other end so that I can start talking. I want it to go back like before.

If I can get those three questions answered, hopefully I can get most of my problems fixed and maybe figure some other things out as well.

Thank you for any info.
Scott Mayo - System Administrator
Bloomfield Schools
PH: 573-568-5669 FA: 573-568-4565

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

1. Yes you can copy buttons, when you hit the copy button, highlight the buttons you want to copy by clicking on each one, then select the exts you want to copy to.

2. You need to program the VMID code for each ext. That way when you hit your flashing msg button, the system knows what mb you a trying to log into.

3. There is a parameter in eManager on the DKT tab for each ext, that is Tone Ring/Voice Announce, set that to tone first.

Korak Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks. Got to looking at the multiple extensions. Forgot you can hover the mouse over things and it gives you a description of it so I was able to enter 200-280 to cover all extensions, instead of just typing 200, copy, 201, copy, etc.

Also on question 3, that took care of me. I should have caught that one, but overlooked it.

I am still not sure what to put on #2. I tried putting my extension and was going to test, but then realized that when I called my number to leave a message, the VM never picks up so that I can leave a message. I don't know if that has to do with the VMID also or what. I guess the question I need to know is how to find what number needs to go here. Maybe if I can figure that out then I can also find what I need to dial to reach the main attendant from a phone.

Thanks again for the help.
Bloomfield Schools

On the basic tab you need to have the System Call Forward programmed with an activated system call forward template(look at System>system call forward), you need the VM MW Center Port programmed with the pilot number for vm, and you need the VMID code programmed with the mailbox assigned to that ext.

Korak Offline OP
OP Offline
Think I will pull out the manual and start reading. Am I supposed to run the Wizard under Basic Configuration->VMID Range for any reason?

Also, what is a PDN PhDN and Pilot DN? I see what they stand for, but I am not sure what the difference is. As I said, I am very new to any kind of telephone work. What I know, I have basically learned from logging into eManager and playing there, along with asking questions. smile

Thanks.
Bloomfield Schools

Korak Offline OP
OP Offline
What is MW? I am bad on acronyms and it seems that this whole user manual is acronyms.

I went into System>system call forward and set the Telephone status to 'Busy No Answer' which I assume means if it does not get an answer then to forward it somewhere. There is a Destination1 and a Destination2, but not sure what those are to be.

I see that a Pilot DN is basically a virtual number. So does that mean the system uses one of the unused extensions as a way to contact the Voice Mail? If so then I assume I need to get that set up somehow also. I see the setup there under Adv Config>Station>Pilot DN, but not sure what values I need to put in there.

Maybe with some trial and error, I will finally get it to where the phone will receive voice mails.

Any help is much appreciated.
Bloomfield Schools

You might save yourself a little headscratching and call a Toshiba tech to give you a hand. A good tech should be able to get this all set up correctly and explain it all to you in an hour or less. I can appreciate the fact that money is tight these days and you would like to be able to do this yourself, but a little hands-on advice would really save you time and, I'm sure, money in the long run.

Korak Offline OP
OP Offline
The more that I read on this, I think you are right. This programming manual must think that I already know a lot of things about this system......well, it's wrong. smile

I do have one other question on setting up the keys. If I want one of the keys on the phone to dial an outside number, how do I enter that?

Thanks again.

Bloomfield Schools

Make the button a "One Touch" key. Then you can either program it as a speed dial, ex. SPD201, or you can just program it with the number, ex. 9,5175551212.

Korak Offline OP
OP Offline
From looking at this, I assume the programming actually has to be done from the phone? I see no where to enter the phone number after I select the One Touch. I think these are all DKT2000 series phones. Hopefully I have the manual for those if that is how it is done.

Another big thank you for the help. I am learning. Hoping that I can get our phone people here tomorrow to help me finish the voice mail part out.

Bloomfield Schools

Korak Offline OP
OP Offline
Yep, had to be programmed from the phone. It is working now. The payroll lady will be happy....and she is a good one to keep happy. wink

Thanks again.
Bloomfield Schools

Korak Offline OP
OP Offline
Okay...I guess the the key words are 'good tech'. He stopped by and had about as much of an idea of it as I do (he said he had been in sales too long and had not done that in a while. Nice guy so I will let him off this time). smile

Going to have to wait for one of their higher ups to get by here. He is going to California for training though and will be gone all week, so if anyone has a good manual or something I could read, or has an idea of what to tell me, I will be all ears. I do know that I use to dial 555 to get to voice mail if I did not actually use the MSG button.

Thanks.
Bloomfield Schools

Korak Offline OP
OP Offline
The more that I have thought about this, the more irritated I have actually become. If I wait until next week, it will have been three weeks since our system has been down. Other companies have been placed in front of us. I know this for sure since I was told that.

I really wanted to get some of this done to save us some money when they came, but now I just want to get it done. Three weeks is a pretty long time to wait in my opinion.

I guess what I really need to know is how to get 555 to check the voicemail since that is what I hit before to check it. I have scoured the internet for a how-to, but all I can find are the manuals that I already have. I am not sure if I need to setup a Pilot DN, which I thought might need to be the 555 and/or a Hunt group, which I am not exactly sure what that does.

Any info may be helpful. I won't ask any more after this. I figure that if no one answers, that maybe this is just too complicated to answer over a forum. I'd really just like to get this done.

Thanks for the help.
Bloomfield Schools

Moderator-Vodavi, Vertical, XBlue
Moderator-Vodavi, Vertical, XBlue
It sounds to me like you need to change vendors.

- Dave S. -

You can never appease your ideologue opponents.

You have to setup a huntgroup (1) with a pilot number of 555, distributed, Multiple DN Hunt disabled, DHG Auto CampOn enabled. Those should be the important ones.

Then click the members tab and add the voicemail ports to it

Korak Offline OP
OP Offline
Is the voicemail port my extension of the phone with voicemail?

Do I then need to create a Pilot DN? I went there and have the options 'Alternate Destination', 'Alternate DN' and 'Voice Mail ID'. Not sure what goes in those, but I assume the Voice Mail ID is the extension of the phone?

IS there anything that needs to be setup in VM Data or VM Port Data?

Thanks.
Bloomfield Schools

Korak Offline OP
OP Offline
Also, do I need to change anything in Sys Call Forward and if so, what should go there? I have played around with different values, but so far I have failed.

Bloomfield Schools

Let`s see if I can Help with some of your confusion.
you probably have a toshiba voice mail system
DOS is the Operating system they use to talk to it.
all voice mail systems use ports to access them.
with toshiba these are single line ports. check
your list of stations and find these ports. (by intercoming each port you will get to the voice mail.) you may have 4,8,or more ports depending on the Voice mail system.
now that we know the station numbers of each port we can set up a hunt group. say our pilot (Directory number).is 555 this will be the number we dial to access our voice mail. we will make each voice mail port (station number) a member of this hunt group.
now when this pilot number is dialed from intercom. we schould get the voice mail.
Next we need to Make the system or indivdual stations call forward to the pilot directory number of the hunt group we just made.
Now if you set up your phone with the corect Voice mail ID when you get to the mail it will take you to your mail box. if you have no Voice mail ID it will take you to the main menu.

Korak Offline OP
OP Offline
The phone box is Toshiba, the voice mail is Perfect Voice on an old DOS machine.

I believe I was thinking in lines of what you just said. I guess the problem that I had the other day was this. I went to Adv. Config>Station>Pilot DN and tried Creating a new one with 555 and selecting dialing digits for 01 Alternate Destination. It told me "The entered DN conficts with an existing DKT, ISDN extension, etc." Not sure how that could be since all our extensions are in the 200s. I aborted because I did not figure I needed to set it, if it is set somewhere else.

When I dial INTERCOM 555, it beeps three times, the display shows CAMP-ON to 555 and then just rings.

Right now I am only putting extension 205 in the hunt group since it has voice mail. figured I would just start with one of the extensions until I got it working.

Bloomfield Schools

The extensions that need to go in the hunt group are the stations that are hooked directly to the voicemail system. They will not be physical phones. They will be analog extensions or SLT's as they are shown in eManager

Korak Offline OP
OP Offline
I checked the voicmail box out this morning. I noticed that there are four telephone lines that plug into it that run back to 4 of the box jacks on the board. These are labeled 248,249,250 and 251, so I was wondering if those are the extensions that were used before.

The only problem with that is that I have noticed taht some of the extensions have changed since the new card was put in. The majority of them seem to be the same, but some are not. I am guessing they had a few virtual extensions setup or something. I am leaving them the way that they are now though and letting the people just have a new extension number. That makes me wonder if the 248, 249, 250 and 251 numbers have changed also though. I can hit those extensions and then the #2 to break into speaker and I can hear like it is a room. Not many are here at school though since it is break and hard for me to tell. Getting ready to take a phone around to each room, plug it in so I can get the extension all right.

Also, where I use to hit INTERCOM 999 to get to the main voice attendant or whatever it is, I now hit INTERCOM 275 to get to the voice attentent. The 275 use to be an extension for the counselor. Not sure if that throws any kinks into anything or not.

I think what had me confused also, was how the phone system actually talks with the voice mail. That makes more since if it was the 248, 249, 250 and 251 that were in the hunt group before. I am just not sure how to tell exactly which number those are now if they got changed.

Where does it show that in eManager Travis? I tried plugging a phone into each of those boxes earlier that go into the voicemal computer, to see if it would who an extension, but I got nothing. No dial tone or anything.

Bloomfield Schools

Korak Offline OP
OP Offline
Okay, I see the SLTs are now 272-279. I am guessing I just put all of those in my hunt group? I figure I only need 4 since that is the amount of lines going into the voice mail box, but I have no earthly idea of how to test to find out what is what.

EDIT: I ended up putting 273-275 in there since I tested them by trying to INTERCOM those extensions and each of them took me too the main attendant. I can now type in 555 and it takes me to the main attendant, but it should just take me to the message that asks for my pin number.

If I call my number, the voice mail still will not pick up. The phone just keeps ringing and ringing.

Hopefully I am getting closer.

Bloomfield Schools

Korak Offline OP
OP Offline
One more step closer. Here is what I have.

1. Setup ADV-CONFIG>SYSTEM>SYS CALL FORWARD and set Destination 1 to 555.

2. I have the hunt group 1 setup to
Hunt Method = Distributed
Multiple DN Hunt = Disable
Pilot Number = 555
DHG Auto CampOn = Enable
Members are 273,274,275

3. I then set my extension which is 205 as:
VMID Code = 205
System Call Forward = 1

Now when I call my number, it rings a few times and then it transfers the call, but it transfers to the main attendant instead of sending it to my mailbox.

What am I missing and thanks.

Bloomfield Schools

check program 200 (stations)button 22 (VM MW )
VOICEMAIL CENTER PORT SCHOULD HAVE PILOT NUMBER IN IT. 555
CHECK TO SEE IF YOU CAN LEAVE YOUR SELF A MESSAGE AND IF YOUR LAMP LIGHTS.

Korak Offline OP
OP Offline
I cannot leave my self a message. I hit 555 and it takes me to the main attedants message "Hello, you have reached bloomfield schools......", then I hit 205 which is my extension.

I get the message "Tranfering to Scott Mayo (This is actually my recorded voice from when this was set up long ago.) and then it goes back to the main attendant "Hello, you have reached Bloomfield schools......"

For some reason it does not seem to be going to my voice mail box. I figured te 19 VMID Code was what told it to go to the extension, but that must not be the case because I have 205 in there which is my extension.

Thanks again.
Bloomfield Schools

Korak Offline OP
OP Offline
Am I supposed to set anything up under:

Basic Config>VMID Range?

Thanks again.
Bloomfield Schools

It appears Voice mail is not ringing your ext.(205)
could it be that the port it needs to access your system. is not connected. you might want to check those cables / slt ports that go to the voice mail for dial tone.
Once you reach that main message you are in voice mail. When you dial an ext. it needs to access your system and send those those digits. back to the system to ring your phone. once it recives busy or ring no ans. then the call goes to your mail box. Make since?

Korak Offline OP
OP Offline
There is a card in the Voicemail box (the DOS system) that 4 phone wires plug into. I plugged a Toshiba phone into each and got nothing but clicking.

I plugged a regular old telephone into each and I get dial tone on one of them, but nothing on the rest.

When I say plugged into each, I mean I pulled the end from the VoiceMail box and plugged it into the phone.

Not sure if that helps or not.

Thanks again.
Bloomfield Schools

OK we know we can get to the voice mail and the voice mail has dial tone available to get to us
to get to us witch leaves us back at the voice mail id it is in program 200 vmid . so check your voice mail data in advance config.> system> voice mail data
some of my config. are button 03=dis,
04=enable, 05= 10, 06=2, 07=enable, 08= 80 msec,
09= enable, 11-14=91, 15=92, 16=555, 17=10, 18=disable 19=20.
option 2 would be to go to basic config. and run
the voice mail wizard.

Korak Offline OP
OP Offline
I will have to wait until I get back to work, but I don't recall ever even seeing a "advance config.> system> voice mail data", but I could be wrong. I know the voice mail wizard has never been run since the new card was put in.

I'll check this first thing in the morning.

Thanks again.
Bloomfield Schools

Korak Offline OP
OP Offline
Looks like my settings are like your are. ShouldI run the voice mail wizard I guess? If so, is that the VMID Range? There is nthing about a VM Wizard, only Network DN Wizard.

Bloomfield Schools

Korak Offline OP
OP Offline
Any other suggestions? I feel that I am close here since I am actually hitting the voice mail box, I just don't know what to do to make it check my mail. It seems that it is not passing along the extension or something.

Thanks again for all the suggestions.

Scott

Korak Offline OP
OP Offline
Well, phone guys got by today. I am not feeling quite as bad since he has not got it going either. He seems to think that the card is bad, since it was acting flaky (dial tone one minute, then it had none).

Bad side is that if he is correct, we will be having to spend some money. Good side is that if we have to buy one of those cards, we will probably spend a bit extra and get the built in Voice mail and will be done with the old DOS system.

Thanks again for everyones help.

Scott

Korak Offline OP
OP Offline
Okay, we got our new voice mail card put in today. I am glad to have it all in the system. They are coming back to set that part up today.

I have a question. He said that the voice mail has its own software. Can I get this somewhere also? I thought I would go ahead and download it and have it on my laptop when they get here if I could.

Thanks.
Bloomfield Schools

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Carlos#1, phonemeister 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,297
Posts638,866
Members49,769
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,673 Shoretel
189,627 CTX100 install
187,864 1a2 system
Newest Members
Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale
49,768 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 26
teleco 9
dans 6
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 151 guests, and 288 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024