Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
OP Offline
Good evening.

I have recently upgraded to a TvSE package which included two Telrad IP Connegy phones. I have succesfully made them work on the local network in my office, but when I bring them home, I can't seem to get them to work.

Here is what I have done so far:

*I HAVE changed the settings on the phone itself to point to the ip address of the server.

*I have opened the appropriate ports on my cisco router. Though, I can only see that 50505 is open when I nmap.

*I can communicate and login to the TVSE remotely.

*When I try to log the phone in at home, I get the following error:

nfig: ftpxfer auto!

Any ideas? I feel certain that I have a routing issue, but have hired a cisco programmer to make the changes that telrad told me...

Thanks!

sqe

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Administrator
Administrator
I just do not understand.
Why hire a cisco programmer when what you need is a certified TELRAD Dealer/tech to install it correctly.

OP Offline
Hi there...

Well, I do have a Telrad programmer. However, he does not have a fulltime cisco programmer. Though he has recommended one to me, it is my cisco programmers belief that all of the ports are open and working.

As this is the first IP installation for my Telrad programmer, I am just trying to help find an answer to why the IP phones are not working.....and was hoping that someone else had an idea.

Thanks.

sqe

Administrator
Administrator
Looks like he needs to head to class.
Do you have a static IP pointed to the TVsE? Can you use the web portal to the TVsE from that IP? Do you have FTP and HTTP ports open?

OP Offline
Ahhh....well, now that you say that....I do not have ftp open, so I will open that. My phone guy said to only open 80, 50505, 6000-6050. I will open up FTP and report back. (I guess the message the phone gave me about ftp error should have clued me in....)

Thanks...

Administrator
Administrator
you need 6000-6999 open also

OP Offline
UDP or TCP? I assume UDP....

thanks.

OP Offline
Well...I continue to struggle. I have opened up the following ports and am still getting an ftp transfer error. I have tried from another outside location, as well. Here is my set of rules for the TVSE:

remark -----> Traffic to TVSE IP Phone Server ***
permit tcp any host xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx eq www
permit udp any host xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx eq 50505
permit tcp any host xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx eq 50505
permit udp any host xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx eq 20
permit udp any host xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx eq 21
permit tcp any host xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx range 6000 6999
permit udp any host xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx range 6000 6999
permit tcp any host xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx eq telnet
remark ******* end *******

Am I missing something that would be preventing the phone from working?

Thanks!

sqe

Administrator
Administrator
Try taking it back to the system but dont use the internal IP addresses set it up with external let it go out to the internet and then back in. But you could be chasing the wrong tail. Is the phone setup right in the switch?

OP Offline
Ok...did that. The phone works fine on the inside when using an internal address (192.x.x.x), but when I try to use the external address from the insde, it does not work, with the same error as from my remote office. It should also be noted that I can't connect to ANY of my external ip addresses on the outside from within the company. For example, can connect to our website by using the name (www.msiprod.com) but NOT by xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx.

OP Offline
Ok....found the problem. I had set FTP as a UDP Port not a TCP port....I hate it when that happens...Phones are working, but quality is only fair down our T1 so now I will work on implementing QOS....THANKS for your help!

sqe

OP Offline
Yikes...ok...well, I finally have it so that my tech can connect with his 3015IP, but when I try to get one to connect from home, I get the same error. I CAN FTP from home, but for some reason the phone won't see it. I have switched cables, etc, etc. I know the ftp address is right on the phone...is there anything special I have to do with my router at home? I am using a toy Linksys 4 port router/wireless unit...Thanks.

sqe

OP Offline
As a follow up, this is my linksys box...as I plugged the phone directly into the cable modem and things are great. I am blocking anything (on purpose) with the router...and like I said, I can ftp fine from a computer on my same network....so....any ideas would be great. Thanks.

sqe

Administrator
Administrator
What software level do you have in the system and on the TVsE?

OP Offline
Here is my current system:

TVSE is a 3.39 version.
IPEX= phone system is now a 3.10.
Voice Mail is a 3.10.11

Administrator
Administrator
Latest of everything good.
My guess is there is something missing in the system cfg. But way to many things to trouble shoot on the board.

OP Offline
How about one last generic question then? Since I can get the phone to work remotely, just not through a remote network, are there any generic criteria that I need to know about from the remote network? My plan is (was) to give my touring staff (we are a touring entertainment company) the 3015 so that they could plug it in on the road and do their work. But, if I can't plug this phone in at a hotel because I have to have certain ports open on the client end too, the phone is nearly worthless to me....which would be a drag. I just find it hard to believe that I can get a Vonnage phone to work find over a consumer router, but not this.....just want to make sure I am not doing something stupid.

Either way, this board is a great asset, and I really appreciate your help....

Moderator-Telrad
Moderator-Telrad
In the phone you have to put in the Static IP Address at your office, FTP sever ip, It's in BOOT INFO. At your office port forward that ip address (the ports earlt stated in this posted) to the TVSE sever.

You need a static ip address set for the IP setup. If your using a FTP sever at your office your for DATA your CISCO router is pointing the ip phone to the wrong server.

Get it to work internally then all you should have to change is the FTP SERVER IP, if your using a static ip for the phone you will have to change the DEFAULT GATEWAY too.

If you have only one STatic IP Address from your High speed provider you will have to use it only for the IP telephone setup or you will have to make a VPN network.

IF IT WORKS INTERNALLY IT WILL WORK FROM YOUR HOUSE. YOU HAVE SOMETHING PROGRAMED WRONG!!!!

OP Offline
Thanks for the response Tony.

Ok...here is what I have:

Phone WORKS internally.
Phone WORKS externally from my phone techs office.
Phone WORKS externally at my house when plugged directly into cable modem.

Phone DOES NOT work externally at my house when plugged into Linksys Router behind my nat.

I currently have the phone set up with a static IP address at my house (x.x.x.150), with that address set as a DMZ on the router. I can see the phone trying to FTP out on the router log, but the phone never seems to connect.

So, I know that the cisco switch at the company is working fine since I have been able to connect remotely and can do so from home.....the silly linksys box seems to be the problem. I realize it is a $50 fix, I am just trying to make sure I understand the limitations of these phones before I deploy them to my travelling staff....

Thanks, again!

sqe

Moderator-Telrad
Moderator-Telrad
I'm using a linksys router at my house.
You seem up to speed with networkig but I do have to asks.

Your Changing the settings on the phone after you get it working directly into the modem.

Is your Ip Adress and sub net mask the same. For Example:
IP Phone 107.62.1.120
Linksys Router 107.62.1.100
Try pinging the phone form another computer on that linksys router at your house. if your using Static ip's at your house you have to make sure the IP Phone is on the network.

Last Question What's the model # of the linksys router.

OP Offline
Hi Tony...

Thanks for the reponse.

My linksys is: BEFW11S4

I CAN ping the phone from the inside (192.168.0.150)
The IP info on the phone is correct and matches the subnet mask...

Thanks!

Moderator-Telrad
Moderator-Telrad
Im using a befsr41

When I get home I'll check the settings.

In the mean time try Web porting to the tvse card from your computer.

When you get FTP error on the phone your not seeing the tvse card

OP Offline
Ok....well, I have it working now. It appears that I have narrowed the problem to a particular model of the linksys routers....the BEFW11SR is an older Linksys wireless router that I just couldn't get to work. When I plugged a newer Linksys WRT54G in....everything worked like a charm. So, that being said, I guess that some of the older consumer stuff just won't support VoIP....

At any rate....I can't say thank enough to all of your help. This forum has been a great find.

sqe

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  SSPhone 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,314
Posts638,919
Members49,775
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
213,068 Shoretel
190,283 CTX100 install
188,552 1a2 system
Newest Members
PeterG, lyte, 4thright, dcl, Mansour
49,774 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 19
jsaad 5
teleco 4
dans 4
Who's Online Now
2 members (newtecky, jeffmoss26), 116 guests, and 25 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024