web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Here in Michigan, I always have to extend the demarcs and T1. Thats fine by me, keeps me busy.

Technician I IBEW Local #58 Detroit, MI
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Moderator-Nortel, Computers, General
Moderator-Nortel, Computers, General
Here in Quebec, Bell will only take it to the suite if it's within 25 ft, unless of course the client is willing to pay.

Dave

Scientists say that the universe is made up of Protons, Neutron & Electrons. They forgot "Morons".
Dave. (CTUB) Canadian Techs Use Bix!
Here the carriers never extend the demarc to the customer suite. More often then not they don't tag new service either so I'll have to call the carrier for the binding posts if I can't locate them readily or they weren't provided on the ticket they give the customer.

RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
Mike, check me on this, but I am told by my super that Embarq's own rules say that they WILL extend dial tone/demarc to customer premise, suite or whatever. The installer usually isn't too thrilled, but if you catch them before they leave or tell customer/GC to push it, the installer will do it for free. HOWEVER, if you don't get it done upon initial install of new dial tone, then it's a chargeable call, and do they charge. John C.

When I was young, I was Liberal. As I aged and wised up, I became Conservative. Now that I'm old, I have settled on Curmudgeon.
Originally posted by ev607797:
It's true; only ten colors, no matter how many thousands of pairs that exist in the cable:

Base colors (Tip):

White
Red
Black
Yellow
Violet

Secondary colors (Ring):

Blue
Orange
Green
Brown
Slate

Pair one= White/Blue
Pair ten= Red/Slate
Pair thirteen= Black/Green
Pair nineteen= Yellow/Brown
Pair twenty-two= Violet/Orange

Over 25 pairs results in binders that follow this same color code until 600 pairs are reached. Each group of 25 pairs is wrapped with a spiral tape identifying that group of 25 pairs in the cable. The first group of 25 pairs has a white/blue binder, the next has a white/orange binder, etc. If you have to ask beyond this pair count, you might already be in over your head.
You get sick of these colors while sitting in a hole covered in mud and icky pic at 3am because the water dept. cut your 600pr cable while repairing their main that broke smile

When I started at the phone company and the guy trianing me (He had 25yrs at the time) told me:

Why(white)
Run(red)
Backwards(black)
You(yellow)
Varmint(violet)

Because(blue)
Of(orange)
Great(green)
Big(brown)
Snake(slate)

That's how I remembered the color code until I just got used to it.

A CST's favorite numbers:0962/600
Originally posted by Carl Navarro:
The most fun is dealing with the ICY PIC the vaseline like crap in the cable. Forget the pairs, you gotta keep them long so you get a better chance of being exposed to the stuff. It took me about 5 years to figure out why it's called ICY PIK (the cable is designated ICPCI).

Well, I still have a 1/2 bottle of HydraSol.
I still have a bunch of D-Gel!

My Ameritech branded coveralls have been covered in it completely. I used to wash them by themselves with D-gel and some tide to get it off.

I worked at the phone company right around 10yrs and never got a good answer why it was called "Icky Pic"
Everyone told me because it was icky stuff. It wound up in every type of cable at some point and is now even in some of the aerial cabling used by AT&T.
Thanks for the info on that.

Even worse than Icky Pic is the silicone grease in the buried drop splices we used called "Klik Its" it's brutal sticky and I was covered in it yesterday.

A CST's favorite numbers:0962/600
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
It is PIC (Polyethelene Insulated Conductors) and since it was filled with goo, it was nicknamed "Icky-PIC". Nothing formal about it. PIC was the first plastic insulation used in cables after pulp and remains today's insulation standard.

Icky-PIC should not be installed in the air or in ducts. It's meant for direct burial. Heat from sunlight causes the goo to expand and ooze out of the splices. It also drips out of the splice closures and onto cars or property below. If you have seen it in the air, it shouldn't be there.

True, the goo in the "Klik-Its" is much worse, since it's much more dense, like axle grease. There's definitely no silicone grease in phone cables or splices; it would eat up the plastic insulation of the pairs over time.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
Better late than never.
In Florida as some of our colleaques stated the local telcos are required to provide a dmarc at the minimal point of penetration into the suite.
I post the Florida Adminstrative Code that states it:
Rule 25-4.0345, Customer Premises Equipment and Inside Wire, F.A.C., requires a local exchange company to provide and maintain the network facilities up to and including the demarcation point at each individual customer’s premises. Specifically, Rule 25-4.0345(1)(b), F.A.C., states:

(b) "Demarcation Point." The point of physical interconnection (connecting block, terminal strip, jack, protector, optical network interface, or remote isolation device) between the telephone network and the customer's premises wiring. Unless otherwise ordered by the Commission for good cause shown, the location of this point is:

1. Single Line/Single Customer Building -- Either at the point of physical entry to the building or a junction point as close as practicable to the point of entry.

2. Single Line/Multi Customer Building -- Within the customer's premises at a point easily accessed by the customer.

3. Multi Line Systems/Single or Multi Customer Building -- At a point within the same room and within 25 feet of the FCC registered terminal equipment or cross connect field.

4. Temporary Accommodations Subscriber Premises with Inadequate Grounding (e.g., some mobile homes, trailers, houseboats, construction modules) -- On a permanent stake, pole, or structure with a suitable safety ground.

As emphasized above, Rule 25-4.0345(1)(b), F.A.C., allows an exception to the required demarcation point as ordered by the Commission for good cause shown.

Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  MooreTel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,299
Posts638,872
Members49,770
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,725 Shoretel
189,768 CTX100 install
187,923 1a2 system
Newest Members
Dave Simmons, Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks, James D.
49,769 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 25
teleco 9
dans 6
dexman 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 65 guests, and 316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024