Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
v194 Offline OP
OP Offline
Greetings all!
If I have posted this in the wrong section then please let me know.
I'm looking to ID the push buttons in the photograph.
What I do know:
They are manufactured prior to 1966.
They may be from several types and styles of phones all put together so don't go on their placement.
They may be military (I don't know)
I'm first looking to ID these buttons and of course to find a source for them in any fashion. One or all of them.
Does any of it look familiar at all to anyone?
The button all the way to the right reads "Operator" so I assumed some type of telephone equipment.

Any help you can give will be great!
[Linked Image from img.photobucket.com]

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

v194 Offline OP
OP Offline
Whoops I forgot to add email notification.

Why the heck did you mask out the rest of what they are on? (Or was it somebody else?) Certainly would help to see it.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
v194 Offline OP
OP Offline
It is masked out because the other parts of the photo will just distract you from the items at hand. Like I said the pieces are assembled and may all be from different models. The assembly was created in 1966 so the parts have to predate that date. I have seen the push button pieces I just cant place them.
Here is the full image but I doubt it will help.

I understand. The button assembly was salvaged from something else (you think telephone equipment) and used in whatever this is.

No. Don't think it was telephone, could be anything. What do the knobs do?

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
v194 Offline OP
OP Offline
"The button assembly was salvaged from something else (you think telephone equipment) and used in whatever this is."
Exactly!

Well I did not want to post the full photo as to predispose anyone in thinking it was not telephone equipment.
The push buttons look like to me they came off an early 60's desk phone possible a Western I saw (I have not seen many round button hold and line buttons) The big "phone" clue to me was that the extreme right button reads "operator 0" so I think it has to be "communications related" but what I don't know. The buttons are acrylic (except for the black ones) again much like a desk phone.
I was thinking something like a business console, multi line type of thing? I also thought it might be military, or even an elevator control buttons, but all theories have come up dry.
Its a real puzzle and the fun of it (at least for me) is trying to unlock the mystery.

The chicken head knobs do nothing.
The black ones read "N1", "N2", "M", and "B"

If a geographic location will help ID parts then it was assembled in California (in case the Western stuff is localized)

Hoping someone can ID these parts? Any suggestions are welcome.

Aircraft radio??

N1, N2 buttons for NAV1 and NAV2. M for Manual.

v194 Offline OP
OP Offline
Sounds interesting.
I wonder what the "B" might be for?
I would also guess that the other buttons might be from a similar application. The ones with the green tops and "I"
But what about the one on the end that stated "Operator?"

b for bomber
operator for well operator

possible an old on board communications panel for a military aircraft?

I Swear I did not touch anything bash
v194 Offline OP
OP Offline
Interesting thought.
Does anyone specialize in military communications, avionics, or aircraft phone systems?

Know of any forums that might be able to help?

Anything will be great!

During the 50's and 60's military surplus was kind of like the Ebay of today. Walk into a dusty old store or browse a flyer- you'll never know what you might find. My guess is that that's where this came from and they often had piles of each item. What it originally was used on I have no idea.

-Hal

v194 Offline OP
OP Offline
I don't see anything on that piece that resembles the photo? Did I miss something?

Hal you got that right. This was assembled from some spare parts of something, but what that something is has remained a mystery. That is my quest. I figure the more eyes that see this the greater the odds of cracking the mystery.

Originally posted by v194:

Here is the full image but I doubt it will help.
What does the button all the way to the right say?

Edit: nevermind, I found the answer above. :-p

The button all the way to the right reads "Operator" so I assumed some type of telephone equipment.

They wouldn't be elevator buttons, would they?

Or a control panel from something on a shop floor (manufacturing or some other operator based machine).

A couple of more pictures would help... back off so we can see the whole thing, front back and sides. Those look like switchboard lamps, but cannot be for sure without seeing the backside. Assuming there is wiring on the backside it will tell if it is factory wired or custom job.

Telecommunications Installation and Repair: April 1, 1966 -- November 30, 2011
v194 Offline OP
OP Offline
Photo wise that is all I have.
But I can say in all certainty it is a custom job.
I hope to identify the push button parts only. The signal or pilot lights are used in vintage automotive applications and fender, guitar amplifiers. The chicken head knob is a common piece.
Its the push button parts I cant seem to find or be able to id.

Maybe Ed will stop by. I bet he has three of these in his warehouse. :rofl:

Moderator-Avaya
Moderator-Avaya
Originally posted by MacGyver:
Maybe Ed will stop by. I bet he has three of these in his warehouse. :rofl:
And new stock condition. laugh

Avaya SMB Authorized Business Partner. ACIS/APSS
ESI Certified Reseller/Installer
www.regal-comm.com
One thing I find interesting about the panel is that the buttons are recessed into the compartment. That's a design I'd expect to find in something where you want to make sure they don't get hit accidently.

Is the panel currently in use? If so, for what? (You mentioned wanting to find a source for the buttons.)

One thing I find interesting about the panel is that the buttons are recessed into the compartment. That's a design I'd expect to find in something where you want to make sure they don't get hit accidently.

Ummm, no. That is the design of whatever the salvaged buttons were used on. The buttons are much older than this piece of equipment and probably looked much different in their original use.

V194, you don't say what your interest is in this button assembly. Do you need it for a new piece of equipment or replacement?

-Hal

v194 Offline OP
OP Offline
Ummm, no. That is the design of whatever the salvaged buttons were used on. The buttons are much older than this piece of equipment and probably looked much different in their original use.
Right.
My interest is that I am trying to replicate the item. Finding the original parts will make that easier plus there is some interest to find out what was originally used to create this.

Unfortunately I think this assembly is at least 50 years old. You won't find much of this today since something like this would be microprocessor controlled through a membrane touch pad or similar.

Still I too would be interested in what that was originally used on. If you do strike out you might try Switchcraft and some of the few other manufacturers that still make these things. They can produce customs if the quantity is there and you can justify the cost.

-Hal

If you think some or all of the buttons may be from old avionics, as suggested in earlier posts, you may want to inquire on aviation boards. There might be some older pilots (or even younger ones who work in aviation museums), there who might recognize the parts.

I didn't see an appropriate public forum on landings.com or AOPA.org, but you could try posting an inquiry here:
https://www.partsbase.com/public/PublicMessageBoard/MsgBoardPublic.asp

v194 Offline OP
OP Offline
For those who have asked.
The part was created in 1966 but it was created from parts of unknown age so this stuff could be WWII era.
The photo you see is of a Hollywood Prop created to be used on film. As you may know prop makers used anything and everything at their disposal to create their props. Many TV related props have to look good 20 feet away for 20 seconds on film and most were never functional in any way.
The item above was installed in a vehicle. I own the vehicle but the part was pilfered years ago and only a few original parts of the photo item are still around. I have all of the lights, chicken head knobs but I'm missing the buttons, black, green, and white. Some parts ont he car were from old IMTS phone equipment.
Like I said I saw one button that said operator, So naturally I thought of telephone equipment. And the buttons looked a lot like push buttons on a desk phone so again I thought telephone equipment. Either way I have been looking at elevator consoles, telephones, military equipment on Ebay and the net and have come up dry. Ive been at it for several years now but just started trying contacting experts in the areas that the part might be associated with. Gadget and tech type guys tend to have experience an several different areas so I was hoping for someone who might have spotted these parts either in communications or military fields.

Well, I guess the good part is it really doesn't have to do anything.

-Hal

RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
Mac, see if you can get Ed to take a look.
My 2 cents worth, reminds me of some buttons I saw (and used) on patch panels @ Thule AFB, Greenland, 40 looonnnggg years ago. As I recall, some of them were actualy twist switches. And Western Union had some that looked like that in the switching aisles in KC, MO.

John C.

When I was young, I was Liberal. As I aged and wised up, I became Conservative. Now that I'm old, I have settled on Curmudgeon.
v194 Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally posted by clightninghorse:
Mac, see if you can get Ed to take a look.
My 2 cents worth, reminds me of some buttons I saw (and used) on patch panels @ Thule AFB, Greenland, 40 looonnnggg years ago. As I recall, some of them were actualy twist switches. And Western Union had some that looked like that in the switching aisles in KC, MO.

John C.
That would be great! Any help is welcome!

Greetings all!
If I have posted this in the wrong section then please let me know.
I'm looking to ID the push buttons in the photograph.
What I do know:
They are manufactured prior to 1966.
They may be from several types and styles of phones all put together so don't go on their placement.
They may be military (I don't know)
I'm first looking to ID these buttons and of course to find a source for them in any fashion. One or all of them.
Does any of it look familiar at all to anyone?

Any help you can give will be great!
Is there anything printed by the knob?

Those are the same buttons and unit in 007 James Bond's Austin Martin. I saw the same unit in his movies.

v194 Offline OP
OP Offline
There is nothing printed next to the knob,

James bond you say? Well that is not where this photo was taken from. Ill have to look at some of the films to see if they are the same. Still trying to ID them however.

v194 Offline OP
OP Offline
Here is a link to a thread on a military communication site if it helps:
https://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/communication/help-newbee-id-some-equipment-7201.html#post229520

Well, James bond car did crash at the end of the movie and the Austin Martin ended up in a junk yard and Vinny scraped the parts and somehow they ended up here.

They look like buttons I saw on either an old teletype machine or juke box, not sure, sorry.

I don't think a juke box would have an operator button though.

You might try some of the ham radio sites, starting with ARRL (american radio and relay league), sorry don't have the url handy.

Some of the guys are OLD, from the days of tubes.

They may be able to point you in the right direction.

Let us know what you find.

Some of the guys are OLD, from the days of tubes.

Speak up sonny, I can't hear you! Never needed heat in my room when I was a kid, I just fired up my stereo system.

-Hal

SPEAKING UP, CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW... laugh

Need one of those gaemlins with a megaphone... :rolleyes:

Didn't need a fireplace either, just turn on the Sears color console TV, Phonograph, AM/FM STEREO (no tape/CD player) combo sets.

v194 Offline OP
OP Offline
Well I guess the mystery continues.

my guess would be that this console was at one point part of a larger set of engineering test modules. the H1, H2 and M are likely to represent various states within a hilbert space and the operator button would have been used to implement whatever function the algebra operator was given within those states. given its age id say its a prime candidate for quantum engineering test equipment.

"It is what it is." R.R.
CTP, TCTS, StrataCIX
v194 Offline OP
OP Offline
The H1 and H2 are actually N1 and N2, which me now think its avation and possiably military however I have never seen any switch or button with the letters written on them. I could be wrong but...........

If all you have is a picture, are you even sure that were all buttons. Some appear they could be lamps. Also, prop guys, (As you stated) will use anything to make a prop. These could be other button with green acrylic stones glued on top.

If this is a non fuctional device, you should be able to find close enough parts to duplicate it. If your just intrested in it's origin, then I think "Military" is the right direction.

Kirk Herron
A mistake on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
CCSG, Inc.
www.ccsgweb.com
Now that you mention it I was in the Navy (Circa 1975) and we had teletypes with those buttons on them.

v194 Offline OP
OP Offline
Any photos of the teletypes for a visual ID?

I have found some similar buttons on test equipment like tube test equipment, but nothing exact.

Keep in mind Im just looking for the push button switches. I have all of the lights.
Thanks

I think its from an early limousine. Controls for lights,fans, ect...or possibly one of Elvis' cars.

"I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken"
[Linked Image from users.aol.com]

I found this while searching. It is a prototype but came kinda close to what you have without the rotary knobs. I have to imagine the concept was the same for the military vehicles, the year is close aswell

if interested check this guys site out

I found this which appears to be operators equipment. Difentaly thelephone related.
Now where can these be found?

That's from an old switchboard. What are you looking to find?

Jeff Moss

Moss Communications
Computer Repair-Networking-Cabling
MBSWWYPBX, JGAE
The black push button switches. I need about 10
Perhaps some of the lights etc.
Not trying to breach the boards policy on solicitation.
But if you have more information then just email email me off forum
kirc5707 at bellsouth dot net

I'm not sure if you will be able to get any of that stuff new. I know here in Cleveland we have a store that has a lot of electronic parts that simply can't be found anywhere else. Their site is www.electronicsurplus.com
Maybe they can help you out.
Jeff

Jeff Moss

Moss Communications
MBSWWYPBX, JGAE
I don't need new stuff just workable.
I have seen that site before but as you can tell from their site they post little to no photos.
Ill send then the photo I have and ask, perhaps I will get lucky but what usually happens is that most electronic places state they don't have time to search for something.

There was a company in Germantown New York
called Bohnsack may ,still be around that
you could dig up ,also there are collectors that may have sites with those strange old parts for sale or trade.

Try www.oldphoneman.com he in Olathe ,ks and has cord board parts listed.

I usually have dismal results via email requests but I just sent him one just in case.
No luck on Bohnsack.
No luck onlocating other collectors.
Anyone near Sun city California?

Try Ed on this board, he prolly has what you want in a box under his desk. Look for EV607797.

I just sent Ed an email and asked if he could comment on this thread. We will see if he gets it and has a comment. I hope he replies.
Its worth a shot right?

Right.

Originally posted by KENB:
There was a company in Germantown New York
called Bohnsack may ,still be around that
you could dig up ,also there are collectors that may have sites with those strange old parts for sale or trade.

Try www.oldphoneman.com he in Olathe ,ks and has cord board parts listed.
Just got an emali back from the old phone guy and he said "Sorry I don't know!"

Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
There is a place called Phoneco in Galesville, Wisconsin (608-582-4124). I have know of them for many years and they are pretty good with this kind of stuff.

Also, take a look at the Telephone Tribute site (https://www.telephonetribute.com) and select #9 on the dial pad at the top of their home page. There's a listing of plenty of refurbishers of vintage hardware who might be able to assist.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
I emailed as many as I could from the Telephone Tribute site.

I also emailed the other guys in WI asking if I could send them a photo of what I was looking for. It is often hard to describe. But I did send them a link to this thread so they could see the photos and hopefully comment.

So we wait.......................

Is Bohnsack still around?

Jeff Moss

Moss Communications
MBSWWYPBX, JGAE
Here is one on Ebay but the price is eek
especially since I only need the buttons.
Ebay

Honestly is it worth this much?

I also got an email from: Sheri at
PhoneVault
They suggest I contact
atcaonline
So I sent them an email.

Looks like a got a few hits off the actaonline members.
Looks like the 555 console type switches as I posted would have been too small.
Two said it appears to be foreign (European)
I am told that the N1 ans N2 mean "night lines" and the M is for "monitor" and these buttons were on a PBX console probably Siemens or Noelco, but not sure yet.
The green ones are not push button but twist switch's the "I" indicates if they are off or on. their origin is still in question.
Anyone with old PBX stuff or contacts with European parts or collectors?
We actually might be narrowing this thing down this time.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  MooreTel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,299
Posts638,872
Members49,770
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,725 Shoretel
189,768 CTX100 install
187,924 1a2 system
Newest Members
Dave Simmons, Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks, James D.
49,769 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 25
teleco 9
dans 6
dexman 4
Who's Online Now
1 members (JBean3329), 75 guests, and 328 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024