web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
You would be hard pressed to find a computer course that didn't at least mention punch cards. Why not teach your students the ins and outs of 1A2 key systems? OK...It doesn't meet your requirement of being 'current', but THAT would be a good hands on course (almost like an Erector Set). You can hear the lights blinking (via the Interupter). They would get a lot more wiring experience. And, what system could provide a better demonstration of Supervision?

I think you need to consider working this into your plans.

(I'm kidding of course...but only half way.) wink

Marty Beutler
Follow me on my quest to webify all of us at Webify.Us
--> Providing Business Relevance for Web 2.0 Technologies
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

I agree with BCMguy. The only true way to learn telecom systems is on a 1a2 system. The true knowledge of a phone system is not just reading a programming manual, its how your voice gets transmitted along the lines to its destination.

Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Yeah, there's no doubt about the fact that 1A2 training truly teaches the fundamentals of supervision, logic (if-then scenarios) and hold bridges. Unfortunatly, that stuff would scare away anybody new to the industry! BCM, as much as your post was tounge-in-cheek, there is definitely some merit in your thinking.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
Clinton Offline OP
OP Offline
I think I'll stick with the hardware that was manufactured in my lifetime Marty. wink You do have a good point though. I like using the Onyx VS in my cabling course because the relays are so loud. I can hold up a CO and station card from an old NEC MarkII and explain what's happening when they hear the clicking sounds.

As for Market share, I can only speak for what I've seen in a small area of Western Canada. It's definately Nortel and NEC out here. But I do like the idea of using something like the Vodavi STSe as the standard system in the lab, and round things out with the Meridian and maybe an NEC Elite 48.

Really what I'm trying to do is round out the telecom portion of a network and telecom program. Very few of our students will be going to work for interconnect companies, a few more will go to Telus (carrier), and the rest go into networking. So while I was originally concerned about teaching on a system they were likely to see in the local market, that isn't the case anymore. The things I want to teach them are not particular to any one brand name.

KLD Offline
Keep to the basics. In the real world you may have to work on anything.

Every system has it's oddities --- it is all in what you become accustomed to.

If you do it in an orderly manner any system will work properly.

Good Luck, Clinton

KLD

Ken
---------
I stand by my orginal post. Teach basics. Systems change so fast that what you learn today to program is gone tomorrow. But the basic lingo remains the same.

If the students are going to be in the IT industry, what a breath of fresh if they can speak to a phone tech in a language they both understand.

Marv CCNA, CTUB
TeleMarv Services (Retired)
Providing telecommunication solutions in Ottawa Canada since 1990
Originally posted by Clinton:
So while I was originally concerned about teaching on a system they were likely to see in the local market, that isn't the case anymore. The things I want to teach them are not particular to any one brand name.
Now you're talking! You are preparing the students to live in the world instead of just the village.
clap

My deepest apologies to everyone for the post that was in this spot. I really wasn't drunk. As it turns out, my daughter wanted to see what it was like to post on the website where Daddy spends so much time. Well Waine, guess this gives you and me something else in common.

Sorry again everyone.

YUP

Clinton Offline OP
OP Offline
I figured it was something along those lines. I'm sure my daughter will be causing the same kind of trouble for me in a couple of years. smile

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  MooreTel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,300
Posts638,879
Members49,770
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,776 Shoretel
189,853 CTX100 install
187,980 1a2 system
Newest Members
Dave Simmons, Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks, James D.
49,769 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 22
teleco 9
dans 7
dexman 6
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 122 guests, and 223 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024