web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
I was acually going to suggest the STSE, It has a lot for the money and the price is great. Different systems may make it a bit more difficult to teach since you will have a lot more to cover...though getting students familier in multiple systems us a major plus IMHO.

I Swear I did not touch anything bash
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Clinton Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally posted by BrianS:
Because there is more AT&T/Avaya base out there than most any other system, I would like to float the idea of preparing your students for what they might see in the real world. Hence the AT&T Partner. The new 308 processor package is extremly competitively priced.
In some parts of the country there are no or very little presense of many of these "popular" or "sexy" brands or models. But you can bet that almost everywhere there are Merlins and Partners. I would train for what they are more likely to see, rather than what happens to be the "cool" system for the moment. My 2 cents. Brian
That is a very good point, although in our area the branding is quite the opposite. The only Merlins and Partners I've dealt with around here were at drug stores. Most everything here (Okanagan Valley, BC, Canada) is Nortel, Mitel, Toshiba, Panasonic, NEC, Nitsuko, and recently Samsung.

Initially I really did want to use systems that they were most likely to deal with locally. On the other hand there are some politics involved in choosing a product affiliated with one of our local interconnect companies. I do want our graduates to have the fundamental skills and concepts so they can go to work for any of these interconnects. I don't want to see a graduate go out, work as a trunk slammer, and pass himself off as an NEC tech with just my course under his belt. That hurts the local NEC dealer and makes the grad and our program look bad.

But still, training them to work with something that has a large install base locally does give them the best opportunities. I clearly haven't made up my mind yet. smile

Originally posted by Clinton:
What would your thoughts be on having several systems of different types that student could rotate through, vs. all identical systems? [/QB]
That would be the best for the students. It will make the Instructor's job a little more difficult because he or she will have to know the different systems very well in order to be able to help a student regardless of where the student is in the process of programming.

I will gather up the stuff I have and try to sort it out and get it to you. It will take a little time because I must make sure none of the information is proprietary to anyone.

I don't think you need multiple telephone systems.

You should be focusing on telephony concepts... Hunt groups, pick up groups, line pools etc, telco features and proper trouble shooting proceedures. To create a well round telecom tech, teach terminology and how to read and find the info in the manuals :read: . You can use any brand of telephone system for the hands on experience. I suggest one that uses both telephone and terminal interface.

If you want one that lets everyone access programming at the same time use a Nortel BCM, but it is only a computer programming interface. It's also expensive.

Marv CCNA, CTUB
TeleMarv Services (Retired)
Providing telecommunication solutions in Ottawa Canada since 1990
The advantage of multiple systems is that it will show the students that although most of the basics in telephony remain the same in each system, the systems are different when it comes to programming. And they will not get too comfortable with just one system and expect them all to be the same.

It will also show them that each manufacturer has their own lingo and terminology in the manuals.

Clinton Offline OP
OP Offline
I've worked with three technicians who admitted that when they first started working in the industry, they honestly expected everyone to be using the same system they learned on in school.

We actually do have a BCM that our students use in 4th semester. They learn about unified messaging, VoIP packets, etc. The problem is, they don't have the fundamental concepts at that point, and everything they're doing is higher level. They need to learn the basics on a small key system before they ever touch the BCM.

Admin
Admin
My wife Crystal is planning on using the Cisco structured cabling course. I haven't seen the material as she just got the ok and its for next years class. At this point I have a Vodavi STS (thanks to Ed :bow: ) and a Panasonic KX-TA1232 with voicemail, if I have enough room I want to add a third system. I am also setting up an Astrisk box that will intergrate with her Cisco lab through a Adtran. I hope to be able to do ISDN, T1 and Voip between systems, this should give them a good idea of how telecom communications work. Lots of this is new to me so its taking time :scratch: .

Merritt

Business Telephones & Equipment + Commercial Audio/Video Products
Commercial Communications . . . Turner, Maine
If it was built after 1980 don't expect it to work right.
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi
Wow! The thoughts of being able to learn all of this at a school is a foreign idea to me. There aren't any schools around here that teach telecom.

Have you considered buying a few used systems off of Ebay?

Contact Ottawa , if they are like our federal government . They donate slighty used systems to NFPO'S all the time . Worth a try . All they can say is no or send the Mounties to your home . smile

Let It Be , I live in a Yellow Submarine . SCCE
Originally posted by nfcphoneman:
Wow! The thoughts of being able to learn all of this at a school is a foreign idea to me. There aren't any schools around here that teach telecom.
As far as I know there aren't any around Dallas anymore. I know there were some years ago but I can't locate any now. I think ITT and Devry teach some telephony classes but I can't seem to get a lot of info from devry, they keep wanting me to visit the campus. As if I'm supposed to fall in love with the place and sign up for classes on the spot. And I can't apply to teach for them because I'm not a college professor.

I have thought of starting my own school for this around Dallas but I have to wonder why the ones that were there years ago are no longer there.

What do you think folks? Would you be willing to pay to send a "green" tech to school to get a boost up in training? Do you think people would be willing to pay for the training themselves?
I know the cost is the big question. I think the ones that were there years ago charged $500 for 2 people for one week of training. I personally do not think one week is enough. Two weeks would be full at the very least.

Please let me know what your opinions are.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  MooreTel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,300
Posts638,879
Members49,770
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,769 Shoretel
189,846 CTX100 install
187,972 1a2 system
Newest Members
Dave Simmons, Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks, James D.
49,769 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 22
teleco 9
dans 7
dexman 6
Who's Online Now
2 members (justbill, Yoda), 126 guests, and 226 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024