Originally Posted by teldata1
I thought Baums law was to get the location i.e. room number
Which would have to be done with a E911 Sip Trunk from what I understand

Lots of programming on both ends, the NEC and the provider

A lot of the hosted companies are throwing this into the mix and people don’t think twice. They just go with the hosted product if they have any money.

Seems like a ridiculous law to me. Everyone has a cell phone the NEC can tell you where the call was made.

Obviously, it would apply in certain circumstances

RAY BAUM’s Act requires that all 911 calls must have a “dispatchable location” which means having information for emergency responders to find the exact location of a person who has dialed 911. In a standard office with a reception, I don't think there is much that needs to be done, expecially if the PBX notifies the reception about who dialed 911. In larger locations or some specific circumstances (as you mentioned) it would make sense to use multiple e911 numbers for specific location information.

We had 2 offices that shared the same PRI. We worked with the carrier to send 2 different e911 numbers with the correct address depending on which building the extensions were located.

Our company is doing nurse care facilites with phones in every rooms. With a hosted system we are now able to provide a DID to every internal extensions, and register every phone number with with a room number along with the physical address for 911. The nurses also get notified if someone dials 911, just like most on premisse PBXs already do as well.

The main issue with cell phones is that there is no location information and I don't beleive that they are routed to a local 911 dispatch center. In a panic, people may not be able to rememeber the address of their current address. Also if the call gets cut off before they can tell the address to the dispatcher.