No doubt about it the network has to be up to the task and as always it will only be as good as the weakest link. On bigger installs we use VLANs to separate voice and data traffic.
I never really cared too much for the 3com product when we first looked at it when they first came out as NBX they definitely weren't ready for prime time and now there are so many choices.
I agree with Coral that there are still a few rough edges fax over IP definitely one of them on the majority of our jobs analog ports are used for doorphones, paging and lifelines.
The bad news for all of us is that VoIP networks if properly installed require very little maintenance and MAC's are as simple as unplugging your handset and walking over (or in some cases flying) to your new desk and plugging it in. Administration is done through a GUI interface which most IT guys can handle which means less visits from the white truck in the parking lot for the customer btu by the same token they can also be remotely administered so we can tell the customer that in most cases we can correct any issues remotely at an reduced hourly rate with no travel time all I need is a laptop and I can be anywhere which frees up our time for more important jobs like sales

------------------
One stop Voice and Data Solutions VoIP