Hello all,

The company I work for recently purchased an Asterisk machine and we ran into some issues today in our test lab. We installed and configured four phones, they are Grandstream 2000's. After initial difficulties we were able to get all the phones to register but then I screwed something up and can't seem to fix it. I was attempting to create 2 accounts for a single phone and gave the second account the same extension as the first. The system obviously did not like this because when the phone rebooted it would not register. I attempted to delete the phone from the system, and though the gui manager no longer shows the phone and its configurations, it now says that their are 5 phones...

The problem phone continually receives it's original IP address from the pbx but will not re-register. The fact that the gui manager show 5 phones instead of four makes me think that the issue may be duplicate IP addresses for what the system thinks are separate phones when there should only be one. I took all network devices through their power cycles from upstream to down thinking the problem could be stupid switches having ARP problems, maybe the switch's port not releasing the MAC address of the phone but I was unsuccessful.

I think my question is this; how do i get the phone to drop it's old IP and pick up a new one? A better question might be 'why the hell won't the pbx allow this phone to register.' I'm pretty sure the system thinks there is a duplicate address given that it shows 5 phones when there are only four but I could be wrong. I tried many things (five hours worth) turning off auto provisioning, turning off dhcp and making a static address, starting the auto provisioner with higher extension numbers to avoid duplication issues...I tried lot's of things but I'm about to throw the damn thing out the window. I hate to tell my company they wasted their money because I'm sure there's something I could do. What in Asterisk deals with registering the phones?

So far the response from the seller is to power off all devices and bring them back up starting with the most upstream device which in this case is a motorola cable modem. While our lab may not consist of very sophisticated equipment, it is this way intentionally as we service a lot small businesses and like to mimic a similar environment. Perhaps a requirement for this box would be smarter devices but I doubt it and that's a crappy solution anyway. Gotta be something...even if this box is a piece of junk I'd like to figure out the reason why.

I know I said a mouthful but hopefully there are some ideas out there. KUMBA!... help

"It is what it is." R.R.
CTP, TCTS, StrataCIX