thanks pvj, Yeah i found that out today around noon time. I called samsung for the first time in a year or two, which i do have a certification on dcs among others. The guy at samsung first told me you could not put a third party voicemail on compact dcs because of the message waiting! No sooner than I hung-up he calls back saying he made a mistake that "yeah 41 on 42 off but using regular msg key and that he was'nt sure if it would work with vmmsg key".
So as far as i know you can't lite the vmmg key without samsungs propritery voicemails. I tried it, no luck. But i did however program three keys on every phone vmmsg, vt and msg keys. what confused me was in prophet lite setup. In the pbx selection there were samsung 2 digit,samsung 3 digit, samsung dcs 3 digit and samung dcs 4 digit. I choose samsung dcs 3 digit. i saw that p84xxx was msg on p 74xxx was msg off. Thinking that would actually lite the vmmsg key.Actually the samsung 3 digit was the right selection but i thought i was for something like the old prostar 56 unit. Anyway its all working great now and by the way after defaulting the memory the weird problem with ring line preference cleared up!thanks for all your help