Hi all, been a long time since I've posted but it sure is nice to know you're still here.

I'm working on a computer that has a 250GB hard drive but windows xp can only see around 32GB of the memory. After reading up the issue one of the suggestions was to check the jumpers on the back of the drive and they appear to be in order. After throwing a linux disk in and running cfdisk I was able to see the remaining 220GB so I tried formatting them on a seperate ntfs partition hoping that windows would then be able to see it but no dice. Instead the computer wouldn't boot windows and got the blue screen of death. Loaded the linux disc back in, ran cfdisk and deleted the partition i had just made then rebooted to see if I had hosed the hard drive but no, windows then booted fine and was unchanged. By the way, BIOS shows the same approximately 32 GB.

After poking around system info I noticed an oddball in that the SMBIOS version is 2.2 which apparently from 1998 or so, I figure before hard drives were big enough for OS's to look for more than 32GB. I'm not certain that this is the issue with the mystery gigs but at any rate I have been unable to find any instructions as to updating the SMBIOS to a more current version.

I'm at a loss as to how to proceed with this machine to recover the missing gigs and any and all help/thoughts is greatly appreciated.

Gratefully,
J2

"It is what it is." R.R.
CTP, TCTS, StrataCIX