just to follow up on this thread. the iso checked out ok so i thought maybe i just needed the third installation iso, perhaps my installation attempts were just incomplete. so i burned the third iso (not knowing what was supposed to be on the disc) and went through the installation process again. this time the first install disc went through a whole series of software installs including LILO (i had selected full install each time) that it had not gone through before. the first few times i tried the install, after choosing which software packs i wanted, I was immediately prompted for the second disc.

im not sure why the software on the first disc was not installed the first two times i tried. its a strange problem that resolved itself for no reason apparent to me. any ideas as to what might have happened would be great, but bottom line is that the install worked fine the third time and im a happy slackware newbie.

i am having a problem in xfce however. i have online courses for school that require adobe flash player but after downloading the tar files and unzipping them, when i attempt to install from x my system hangs and I have to do a hard shutdown.

*edit
kumba i know you had said that i didnt need the third disc but someone on another site said i did need it. they were wrong smile

"It is what it is." R.R.
CTP, TCTS, StrataCIX