atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: computergreek Router ports to open for VoIP - 09/13/05 09:20 AM
We've just installed an MGI-2 on our DCS500, and would like to have it and our MCP behind our SonicWall. What ports do I have to open, and what port-forwarding do I have to do to get IP phones outside the firewall to be able to connect in?
Posted By: SooprmanX Re: Router ports to open for VoIP - 09/15/05 12:37 PM
You have to have ports 6100, 1024-4999m and port 5000 open. Let me know if you need anything else!

------------------
www.A1Bizcom.com
Specializing in selling and installing new and used Samsung systems
Posted By: computergreek Re: Router ports to open for VoIP - 09/16/05 04:36 PM
Are those TCP or UDP ports? Also, do I foward those ports to the MCP, or just open them up in general to our entire network?
Posted By: SooprmanX Re: Router ports to open for VoIP - 09/17/05 11:18 AM
TCP ports and you just open them all up to the whole network.
Posted By: BigSteve Re: Router ports to open for VoIP - 09/18/05 11:03 AM
This has been a bit of a pain in the rear, but if you set the SonicWall to forward port 5000 (TCP)to the MCP2 card, ports 1024 to 4999 and 6100 (TCP and UDP), and ports 30000 through 30030 (RTP and RTCP[? - I just open them up for TCP and UDP]) to the MGI2 card. Port 5000 will give you remote access to the PCMMC, and 1024 through 4999 and 6100 do the call set up and traffic between the system and the instruments, and 30000 through 30030 do traffic for the MGI channels.

You will also have to look at how you have each instrument programmed in the switch, to make sure that you have MGI channels assigned appropriately.

There are other ports that you can open up to access other things on the switch, like SMDR, system alarms and all that, but this should give you what you need.
Posted By: computergreek Re: Router ports to open for VoIP - 09/22/05 09:52 AM
Opened ports as suggested, with and without any port-forwarding, no luck. The MCP and MGI are currently inside our firewall, have static IPs on our internal network, and are functioning fine. The OfficeServe Link communicates fine with the MCP, and VoIP phones inside our network work great. I am still unable to establish communication from a VoIP phone outside of our firewall.
Posted By: WRichey Re: Router ports to open for VoIP - 09/22/05 11:01 AM
The ports are set correctly but the problem is more than likley this

1. are the mcp and the mgi assigned static ips? and if so do you have them set for private with public both private and public have got to be set.

2. is the system set to use mgi instead of mcp? this has been a big issue reguarding remote stations. if the itp phone is remote behind another router that router has to be set up to accept communications from both the mcp and the mgi ip addresses. example:the itp phones contacts the mcp card to set up communications, the mcp hands it off to the mgi card and the mgi sends back to the phone "ok lets talk" the remote router sees a different address than the one it sent to so it denies the call and you cant talk.

hope this helps
Posted By: SooprmanX Re: Router ports to open for VoIP - 09/22/05 11:03 AM
Ok have you tried taking that IP phone and connecting it inside the firewall? If you are able to access it inside the firewall that will help with the troubleshooting.

I had a problem similar to this once and it was resolved by tediously looking over all the programming I did and making sure everything was correct. I suggest doing that one more time jsut to make sure that everything is right...

MMC 830
MMC 831
MMC 824
MMC 724
MMC 820
MMC 711
MMC 710
MMC 712
MMC 714
MMC 603
Posted By: pvj Re: Router ports to open for VoIP - 09/22/05 12:20 PM
I've never set up the ip yet but don't the cards need public static ip addresses?
Posted By: SooprmanX Re: Router ports to open for VoIP - 09/22/05 12:28 PM
Yeah the cards on the Samsung system need static IP addresses.

Now, the static IP addresses you have, is it a local static IP? Like a 192.168.x.x number? Or does it have apublic IP? And is that public IP mapped to the private IP address of the cards?
Posted By: WRichey Re: Router ports to open for VoIP - 09/22/05 12:54 PM
Does your brain hurt yet :confused:

The ip addresses need to be public and supplied by the isp there is a private address for them as well eg 192.168.1.10 is the private and 65.112.184.85 is the public and the cards need to be set up private with public.

also please see my last post to explain why laugh
Posted By: computergreek Re: Router ports to open for VoIP - 09/22/05 01:07 PM
Success! Our MCP and MGI cards each have a static IP inside our network (192.168.xxxx.xxx) - NO PUBLIC IPs are required. Given this configuration, a VoIP phone inside our network (thus having a DHCP assigned 192.168.xxx.xxx IP) points to the IP address of the MCP card, and functions correctly. No outside connectivity required at all.

To get the VoIP phone to also work outside the network, all I had to do was open UDP port 6000, and forward it to the internal IP address of the MCP card. Simple. One little port only. All of the other ports mentioned earlier in this thread were not necessary. Once the phone is outside the network, I point it to the external, public IP address of our DSL modem which connects to our firewall, and all is well.

Thanks to all for your efforts.
Posted By: WRichey Re: Router ports to open for VoIP - 09/22/05 01:22 PM
have you cheched all features eg paging, group ringing and vm access?

were exactly outside the network behind a different router or just on a switch outside the lan or across the wan.

I am glad it works but still have doubts about functionality of all features
Posted By: computergreek Re: Router ports to open for VoIP - 09/22/05 03:35 PM
Good call - when the phone is outside the network, voicemail doesn't function as it should. The message light blinks and the display shows that I have one new VM. I press the VM button, it dials 265 (SVMi-8) as it should, but I don't get the familiar "Enter your password" voice-prompt. If I bring the phone inside our network, things function as they should. I haven't yet tried group ringing.

Any idea on which additional port(s) I need to open and forward? I tried all of the other UDP ports listed in the thread, but no luck.
Posted By: WRichey Re: Router ports to open for VoIP - 09/22/05 06:43 PM
when you set up your static routes in the sonic wall 6000 and the rest of the ports above need to route to the mcp and the mgi I would not just open the ports to the whole network it should look like this

6000wlan to lan 172.16.31.XX allow
6000wlan to lan 172.16.31.xo allow
9000wlan to lan 172.16.31.XX allow
9000wlan to lan 172.16.31.xo allow
and in reverse from both cards and the remaining ports

also steve's senario works. just keep in mind my prior posts when setting up about mcp and mgi hand off ok

is the itp phone behind a second router? or is it just on the wlan side of the firewall?
Posted By: SooprmanX Re: Router ports to open for VoIP - 09/23/05 06:52 AM
also please see my last post to explain why laugh [/QB]
I'm sorry, I couldn't find the question. Could you ask one more time? Or was it for the other guy?
Posted By: WRichey Re: Router ports to open for VoIP - 09/23/05 01:33 PM
That was for computergreek
Posted By: computergreek Re: Router ports to open for VoIP - 09/23/05 01:55 PM
Here is the current situation. I have opened TCP and UDP for: 5000,6000,6100,9000,9001,1024-4999,30000-30030.

I have forwarded all those UDP and TCP ports to the MCP and MGI.

All of the above is two-way communication.

I can dial and connect to other locals, but no voice transmitting or receiving. Therefore I've only got "oIP" working.
Posted By: SooprmanX Re: Router ports to open for VoIP - 09/23/05 03:41 PM
Ok so the system is connecting to your VoIP phone but there is no voice? I ran into that problem once, I have to call my tech support guy and ask him what it was. I can't remember off the top of my head.
Posted By: pvj Re: Router ports to open for VoIP - 09/23/05 05:02 PM
The one way or no way audio can be caused by not setting up public with private .Check what wrichey said above.
Posted By: SooprmanX Re: Router ports to open for VoIP - 09/23/05 06:02 PM
I think it is because he is double NAT-ing. You cannot double NAT with these systems. Only like two certain routers you can do it with.
Posted By: WRichey Re: Router ports to open for VoIP - 09/23/05 06:39 PM
Originally posted by wrichey:
Does your brain hurt yet :confused:

[b]The ip addresses need to be public and supplied by the isp there is a private address for them as well eg 192.168.1.10 is the private and 65.112.184.85 is the public and the cards need to be set up private with public.

also please see my last post to explain why laugh [/b]
of course the ip address are not exactly as I mentioned, they are examples
Posted By: mathrap Re: Router ports to open for VoIP - 09/24/05 04:12 PM
Hey man is simple with Samsung !!!!!!
Go to MMC 840 make sure for all the remote ITP Phones are seting for Public/w Firewall end open in remote sites ports 6000,9000-9001 .Its simple !!!
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help