web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
OP Offline
We had a local installer install our new ACS 509 Partner Messaging System, but he never configured what I was told would be a browser-based interface. Researching it on my own, I've downloaded and installed Partner Messaging Release 7.0 Administration software, but the default IP address that was written on the documentation CD sleeve doesn't seem to work (and I have NOTHING indicating default login info, let alone whatever it may have been CHANGED to). We'd like to be able to login to the phone system to administer it from anywhere in the building (as well as through our VPN), reset voicemail passwords, etc., and getting hold of the installer has proved fruitless. Can anybody at least provide me with what the defaults SHOULD have been so I can at least TRY them?

Avaya IP Office Help & Support Website
IP Office Help

Avaya IP Office Help & Support Website

FAQs, documentation, videos, updates, and support for the Avaya IP Office business phone system!
Everything you need to know about installing, upgrading, and troubleshooting IP 500v2 and IPO Server Edition systems.

The information you need is in the Partner Messaging documentation. Sometimes it pays to deal with a reputable authorized dealer rather than buying over the internet.

You will need to use Hyperterminal on a PC to connect to the Messaging system through the RS-232 port to set the IP to whatever suits your network. To do this you will need the necessary cables and adapters to connect your PC LPT1 serial port to the 8 pin RS-232 on the Messaging. One of these will be a 355AF or AM adapter from Avaya. This is the only way to change the IP. The default if I remember correctly is 105.0.0.254.

Once the IP is set, connect an ethernet cable from the ethernet port to your network hub, router or switch and you can use the Partner Messaging Administration from any PC on the network.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
OP Offline
Thanks for your input. Actually, it wasn't from the web, but rather a local outfit that was referred to us, but one that we've found has begun to falter since then, and the salesman we had dealt with left the company. We've contacted a knew phone service provider who is hooking us up with another Avaya rep to hopefully remedy the service issue, but we still need to get hold of the original installer (who is always "in the field" and never seems to return calls LOL) to obtain any non-default login info.

Moderator-Avaya-Lucent, Antique Tele
Actually, the default IP is 10.0.0.42, and if you still have a modem, you can dial into the VM to change the IP address. The programming GUI will only let you administer the Voice Mail, not the phone system, just so you know.....

OP Offline
Thanks. The only notebook(s) I've got on-site with serial ports on them any more are Windows 98 machines, so I hooked one up to the RS232 port using a DB9 to RJ-45 adapter and using an RJ-45 cable as per the instructions, fired up Hyperterminal, selected COM1:, set the baud and all the other settings per the instructions, but after I connect, when I press Enter rather than getting prompted for a user name, I get a bunch of gibberish. When I connect, I get the three beeps (I checked the box to beep when connecting and disconnecting) and it says connected at the bottom, but I'm unable to go any further. I even type in the default user name from the documentation at this point (even though the characters are unintelligible) to see if I get the password entry box, but nothing.

Is there a problem not using a DB9-DB25 adapter FIRST and THEN a DB25 to RJ-45 adapter like the instructions say? I have several DB9 to RJ-45 adapters floating around in our utility room (installers left them there for hooking up to our router and to our firewall, along with the cables, even one USB to DB9 adapter), but no DB9-DB25 adapters, nor any DB25 to RJ-45 adapters.

I've played around with different cables and different connection settings, but nothing else even gets me the logon gibberish.

Those cables left over from your router installations are NOT the same pinout as a 355A/F adapter.

OP Offline
Yeah, I just found that out LOL - finally got hold of our installer and he explained that it is in fact a proprietary adapter (hence the need to change from DB9 to DB25 in the first place), and any old DB9 to RJ-45 adapter simply will not work. Thanks everybody for all the help and when I find one of those adapters, all should be right with the world...

RIP Moderator
RIP Moderator
As I recall, your DIRECT CONNECT SPEED should be 38400.

RULE NUMBER 2, "THINKIN' WON'T GET IT, YOU GOTTA KNOW!" RULE NUMBER 3, if you need TIER-3 SUPPORT on a LEGEND or MAGIX, go to http://home.comcast.net/~merlinman -

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,298
Posts638,870
Members49,769
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,705 Shoretel
189,734 CTX100 install
187,911 1a2 system
Newest Members
Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale
49,768 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 27
teleco 9
dans 6
dexman 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 117 guests, and 319 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024